Posting Pictures (A visual guide)

Weekend_Climberz

After talking to Mattp and To_The_Top last night at pub club, I decided to help out a bit by putting together a step by step guide for the new guys on posting a picture into a TR, Post, etc. I realize some, who are using macs, or a browser other than Internet Explorer will have a little bit different menus, but the general ideas remain the same.

To start, I always begin by typing my TR or post first and then add the pictures after I'm done with the text. I opt to 'Preview' my post and then during the preview I'll add the photos. The way I do this is as follows:

Open the gallery in another browser window by right-clicking the gallery link and selecting "Open in New Window":

2583OpenNewWindow.jpg

In this new window, I upload my photos according to the Gallery FAQ. Once all my photos are up, I go to 'My Gallery' and select the thumbnail of the photo I want to add:

2583MyGallery.jpg

2583ThumbnailSelect.jpg

This will put you on a page displaying the image you selected. Depending on the actual size of the photo, the image you see first may be a smaller version. In the example below you can see that the original image is 2500 pixels wide:

2583WidthExample.jpg

As a general rule, you do not want to post anything much larger than 800 pixels wide (the dimensions are in the order width by height). If you do, the subsequent report can be hard to read, since the image will make the page scroll off to the right of your computer monitor.

So, if your picture is greater than 800 pixels wide, use the smaller image for display in your TR and create a link to the larger image (look below for instruction for images 800 pixels wide or less).

To do this, click on your thumbnail image to load the page with the large image and copy the 'Address' from your browser:

2583addresscopy.jpg

Once this 'Address' is copied, go to back to your TR window (Alt+Tab to switch between windows for you 'non-mouse pushers') and press the 'URL' link below the 'Post' textbox. Then paste the copied 'Address' text into the prompt:

2583URLprompt.jpg

Press 'OK' and on the second prompt this is where is may get tricky for some. Since we don't want to link it to a webpage (we want to link it to the thumbnail image) we need to get the 'Address' of our thumbnail image. To do this, go back to our 'Gallery' browser window and press the 'Back' button to get back to our thumbnail image:

2583backbutton.jpg

Then right-click the smaller image and select 'Properties':

2583SelectProperties.jpg

Copy the 'Address (URL)' by highlighting the text and right-clicking and selecting 'Copy' from the subtext menu:

2583Properties.jpg

Now that we have the thumbnail's 'Address' we go back to our 'TR' window (Alt+Tab) where you should now have a waiting prompt asking us for a 'web page':

2583URLwebpage.jpg

Type in the following text:

[img] 

And then paste our thumbnail's 'Address' by right-clicking and selecting paste:

2583pastethumbnail.jpg

Finish it off with the following text:

[/img] 

Once your finish the 'URL' prompt, you will end up with text in your TR that looks similar to this:

[url=http://path_to_large_picture][img=http://path_to_thumbnail_picture][/url]   

This will show a nice small thumbnail, and when clicked a new window will open to your gallery with the enlarged picture front and center.

Posting a Picture that is 800 Pixels Wide or Less

If you haven't figured out from the above guide, to do this you first go to your photo (the large one this time) and right-click and select properties from the subtext menu:

2583SelectProperties.jpg

On the 'Properties' window, copy the 'Address (URL)' by highlighting the text and right clicking and selecting 'Copy' from the subtext menu:

2583Properties.jpg

It is this 'Address (URL)' that you use for the 'Image' prompt in your TR window. In that prompt, just right-click and select paste:

2583imagepaste.jpg

Note: You can also use key-strokes to cut and paste for those you aren't in the know. Holding the control key down and pressing the letter 'C' will copy any currently highlighted text in the focused window (active window). Holding the control key and pressing the letter 'V' will conversely paste the most recent copied object on the clipboard to the currently focused window.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Thanks cantfocus.gif

A note to Firefox users:

You can get the URL's of the pictures you want to post by simply right clicking on the picture and selecting "Copy Image Location".

This performs all the BS you need to do in Explorer (i.e. right-click, "properties", find URL, highlight, Copy) with two easy steps (right-click, Copy Image Location). Especially nice is that you're not required to highlight anything, a step that can get quite tedious.

Now you've got the URL for the image on your clipboard and "Paste" or Ctrl-v will paste it wherever you want it.

And if the picture that you want in your TR is not in the cascadeclimbers gallery, just right click the image whereever it is, and copy the 'address (URL)' or 'image location'

then in your post, insert the copied image by pasting the 'address (URL)' inside image brackets that look like this. XXXXXXXXX

The final result will be like this:

Image_address(URL)_Here

The image's address(URL) must end in ".jpg"

So now can someone please tell me why the system is uploading each of my photos to the gallery two-four times per photo? For some reason, when I upload a pic, it shows up in the gallery multiple times, and when I try to delete one or two of the versions, they all disappear. Anyone else have this problem?

So now can someone please tell me why the system is uploading each of my photos to the gallery two-four times per photo? For some reason, when I upload a pic, it shows up in the gallery multiple times, and when I try to delete one or two of the versions, they all disappear. Anyone else have this problem?

I have had this problem intermittently as well in the past. I think this had something to do with the the server setup as, in case you haven't noticed, things have been going pretty slowly. I would get tired of waiting for the damn page to load and upload the pictures again and then it would show multiple thumbnails for processing. Not sure if this is the same problem, but PM Oly and complain. He may be able to pinpoint the problem.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to mention that the update to the BB software has greatly simplified the process of adding photos to your trip reports. Now all you have to do is to put the cursor where you want the picture and click on the camera icon. You are taken to the Photo Gallery where the most recent are displayed first. Click on the image(s) you want.

Finding older images may be more hassle than it's worth. In that case use the method Scott described above, which is still valid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...