prior splitboards

Sol

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No first hand knowledge but Splitboard.com has some good info in the board review section.

Depends on your riding style and when/where you're gonna use it. With as much snow as we normaly get I would be tempted to try the Khyber... that said I doubt it would be my only split. I would want a stiffer/longer board for those less than optimal days.

Damn them Priors are pricey, I'll stick w/ the Freeride/Mntn Gun combo for now...

- bigdrink.gif

It's a 71. Don't know yet, just got it. Been using a 73 Freeride for 4 seasons. Surprisingly good board but soft. I was disappointed to find out they softened up the Gun from last year after ordering/purchasing it. rolleyes.gif and stiffened up the Freeride. Seems stupid... They're also releasing a new design (*rumor* -tapered like a fish) around February. Sorry I can't offer any more info, I'll do a comparison post as soon as the snow flies.

*I'm psyched to see the increase in split interest around here. We should all get together and ride sometime this winter. Now if more of you would turn to the dark side and add a Mntn sled to the quiver... evils3d.gif

- bigdrink.gif

*I'm psyched to see the increase in split interest around here. We should all get together and ride sometime this winter. Now if more of you would turn to the dark side and add a Mntn sled to the quiver... evils3d.gif

- bigdrink.gif

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Mountain sleds rule! Pick a place to ride and I'll be there.

Edited by RideT61

haha RideT61, slappy meant you should GET A MTN SLED if you don't already have one.

THREAD RELATED: I bought a 66 freeride last year. I like it because it splits - that's about it. I can deal with the weight and the length but I think I absolutely hate the sidecut radius. Then again I've pretty much hated every sidecut radius with the exception of my '00 Lib Jamie Lynn.

I am interested in the Khyber for the very reasons it was created. You can ride it shorter than your normal FR board mainting the same float but increases response in turning and crud. I've never ridden the Fish or gnu's Mullet but these boards seem to have similar characteristics to the concept of the Khyber. I bought the voile because I had already ridden one and got a great deal. At the price the Khyber goes for and without ever test riding one that is one hell of a way to find out if you like it.

You might as well make a trip to Whistler rent one get some turns in up there and decide whether that board is for you. Unless of course you're loaded. In that case buy two and give me one rockband.gif

Thanks for the info. I have had my split decision for five or six seasons now and its pretty beat up so I am always thinking about which one I am going to get next. I was thinking about the Mtn gun but was afraid that it might be too stiff- interesting that they softened it up for this year.

I would be psyched to get out with some fellow spltters so lets get something going once the snow starts falling.

thanks for the beta folks. i've got a burton custom split 165 that i've been riding for 4 seasons. amazingly i bought it brand new for $200. i like the board but the burton interface sucks, super sucks. luckily burton has fixed it free of charge 4 times.

stoked to get some voile hardware and try out the At boot set up on a prior board. i've been riding for 19 years and enjoy steep technical lines. the burton has always felt a bit soft so i thought about the standard backcountry prior board because the company says its stiffer. at the same time, the manueverability of the kyber sounds appealing too, but not the softness. i will be using the board for powder riding as well as spring mountaineering so it seems like the backcountry would be the all around ticket. has anybody ridden the khyber, how did it do it hard conditions? sounds like we need to start a PNW Splitboard Club. Splitty Nation.

Frosty

Having 20+ years under my belt as well, I would run with the more traditional/ stiffer Backcountry as my primary split. Sure would be nice to try the Khyber though...

My bud has one of the Burtons with their interface set ups. It's fun to watch him curse and struggle with it while I snicker and consume copious amounts of whiskey.

Let us know what you come up with and how it performs.

Just curious:

During the winter do you lose the "trad" ("trad"?) part of your name and run with the historical "Frosty the Snowman" or something more creative like "Frosty the Splitman" or "Frosty the Boardman" perhaps "Frosty the Madman" or my personal favorite " Frothy the Beerman " ?

Eerie, if you weren't such a small, frail, little man, you could handle the 66...

- bigdrink.gif

Just curious:

During the winter do you lose the "trad" ("trad"?) part of your name and run with the historical "Frosty the Snowman" or something more creative like "Frosty the Splitman" or "Frosty the Boardman" perhaps "Frosty the Madman" or my personal favorite " Frothy the Beerman " ?

Eerie, if you weren't such a small, frail, little man, you could handle the 66...

- bigdrink.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The standard Prior has some good dimensions and will probably hold an edge better than the Khyber. If you only go out in fresh snow get the Khyber as it will be fun and surfy, but if you see yourself spending lots of time above treeline and doing the spring mountain deal then this powder board might let you down a little.

thanks for the beta folks. i've got a burton custom split 165 that i've been riding for 4 seasons. amazingly i bought it brand new for $200. i like the board but the burton interface sucks, super sucks. luckily burton has fixed it free of charge 4 times.

stoked to get some voile hardware and try out the At boot set up on a prior board. i've been riding for 19 years and enjoy steep technical lines. the burton has always felt a bit soft so i thought about the standard backcountry prior board because the company says its stiffer. at the same time, the manueverability of the kyber sounds appealing too, but not the softness. i will be using the board for powder riding as well as spring mountaineering so it seems like the backcountry would be the all around ticket. has anybody ridden the khyber, how did it do it hard conditions? sounds like we need to start a PNW Splitboard Club. Splitty Nation.

More like a splity support group if you ask me. Get on some fucking skis already Frosty. wave.gifthe_finger.gif

Now if more of you would turn to the dark side and add a Mntn sled to the quiver...

the_finger.gif lazy snowboarders!!!

My khyber isn't so good on firm snow, but maybe it's just that I suck.

What? Lazy? Exactly what is lazy about using a sled that can travel over untracked deep snow to access better areas... still splitting up the mountains. I have seen exactly zero non-lazy skinners (ski or splitters) in the areas we visit.

Wait a minute, you're BS'n me, don't you use a sled? the_finger.gif

More like a splity support group if you ask me. Get on some fucking skis already Frosty. wave.gifthe_finger.gif

why, so I can drop $1200 on a set-up and rip my meniscus in half??? the_finger.gifwave.gif

Ouch, guess I wont wait around for you anymore while you fuck with all the little frozen pieces of your wanna be skis and try to turn them into a snowboard.cry.gifcry.gifboxing_smiley.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sims 160 splitboard. Split it myself, and saved considerable funds. Have used mine many times with other splitboarders using manufactured splitboards and there's not much of a difference. If anyone wants any info on making your own send me a pm. I have pics, if interested in seeing it before you hack a board. The most important thing is that you use a table saw, and not a circular saw, like they'll tell you use when looking for directions online. At least if you want a perfectly straight cut. If you want any other info on splitting your board, or want to see pics of the one I split, send me a pm.