Vicodin through Customs?

wfinley

In my never ending quest to post all my drug and customs related questions on CC.com I've come up with a new question:

We have acquired bottles of Vicodin and 400 MG Ibuprofen from my father-in-law. First off let me assure you that he isn't necessarily trying to create a junkie out of me - he just figured we could use the drugs.

So... we're flying into Katmandu with a rather large first aid kit with many prescription drugs ranging from an Epi-Pen though Azithromycin - all of which we have prescriptions (in our name) for. However - the Vicodin and 400 MG Ibuprofen are not in our name.

Can we do this? If we show up with a bottle of Vicodin not in our name are we going to be tossed into some Nepali prison?

Anyone have experience traveling with prescription drugs?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an answer to your question, but thought I'd bring up a related point. You should be able to get most common

drugs (like ibuprofen), and many not-so-common ones, for dirt cheap over there. When I went to India in May, I gladly forgot

all my prescriptions at home hellno3d.gif. Luckily, I knew all the medicines, and managed to get them (well, the Indian brands) for

all of Rs 87/- (~ $2)!! This was in Leh, and from what I've heard, Kathmandu is a much bigger place than Leh. And yes, you can

just walk into most drug stores and get what you want (without a prescription) -- as long as you know what you want smile.gif.

People always wonder where cj001f came from. I chose it because it's the closest way to replicate the Sanskrit name I had in the Pakistani prison on an English keyboard.

I was in Kashmir skiing. Going for some virgin peaks along the line of control when some troops stopped me. They spent an hour searching my bag, tore it to pieces - they even analyzed the inner sleeve of my Whisperlite. They were starting to pack it back up, I thought things were golden. Then they found the Vicodin. And noticed that Horace Horatio Alger Algernon Watanabe VI was the name on the Vicodin and I'm Horace Horatio Alger Algernon Watanabe III. That was it and I was done for. Off to prison for me.

27 years 4 months 3 days 2 hours and 3.78 minutes later I was able to escape by gluing holds made of mouse dropping to the walls.

27 years 4 months 3 days 2 hours and 3.78 minutes later I was able to escape by gluing holds made of mouse dropping to the walls.

cj001f - could you describe this route. When the time comes I'd like to beta-flash it instead of working it over a period of 27 years. yelrotflmao.gif

The route wasn't much - a couple mouse pinchs to a big yak dung sloper than a dyno to the ledge mantle and freedom.

What took the time was figuring out how to construct the holds - I wasted the better part of two decades trying rat guano (wasn't sticky enough).

I'm thinking that flying cross continent with them is a bad idea. (Didn't Limbaugh get busted for Vicodin possession?) Guess we'll stick to drugs we have prescriptions (in our name) for.

pup... we bought drugs we thought might be hard to come by overseas (like Azithromycin) but plan on picking up Diamox, Ciproxin and Flagyl once we get there.

One of my climbing partners (who is a pharmacist) recommended getting dexamethasone. Anyone ever carry this in their FA kit?

i have dex in my high altitude kit for emergencies, i.e. coming down with symptoms but weather/distance/yak strikes prevent you from losing enough altitude. i don't believe in depending on it long-term (though i believe it does work prophylactically) because when you run out, it's worse than never having taken anything, but it can be a life-saver if you need to buy time.

One of my climbing partners (who is a pharmacist)

thats gold!!! get him to get you what yuo need

I think limbaug was percocet..although essentially the same thing.

I wouldnt worry too much about the vicodin, but travelling with them while in a bottle with someone elses name is defently not the best idea.

if you bail on the whole idea, at least knock one down before you get on the plane...proly easiest plane ride ever.. yellowsleep.gif

you can probably get generic vic or percs overseas any ways