Indoor cardio workout ideas

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

here's a second vote for jumping rope -- I'm trying to work up to 30 minutes, by jumping until I miss, resting until I can get started again (typically between one and two minutes), and keeping this routine up for thirty minutes. long-term goal is to eventually be able to jump for thirty minutes without missing, however I have not yet reached genepires' five-minute mark... feels a lot like interval sprints...

jump rope

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Try to do 20-30 minutes. If you keep missing a step, you either need more practice, or need to change your footwork. If you keep doing the same jump the whole time, your muscles will fatigue and you are more likely to miss a step. I change my footwork every couple minutes to prevent this.

Also, try playing music with about 120-130 beats-per-minute while skipping. This helps keep your pace up.

Get a sturdy step stool with a wide base so that it doesn't tip easily. I make sure that the stool is short enough that the angle at my knee is greater than ninety degrees when I step up on it. Put on a pack with weight.

Follow this procedure (let's start with the left foot):

Step up on the stool with your left foot, followed by your right foot. Then, step down with the left foot and then down with the right foot. Continue doing this for five minutes and then switch to stepping with your right foot first for another five minutes. Continue repeating this ten minute routine. I find that for me a half hour with a fifty pound pack at 22-24 steps per minute is a great workout! It's real specific to trudging up a climber's path. And it's quiet so, you can watch your favorite climbing DVD to keep you motivated as you do all that sweating in place. Although, lately I've been watching Red Dwarf.

• 1 month later...

Running

TREADMILL TIME

If you can afford to get just one piece of workout equipment for your home gym, it should be a treadmill. Walking and jogging on a treadmill will give you an excellent cardiovascular workout. Try to get in a minimum of thirty minutes a day. Experiment with different speeds and inclines.

jump rope. (I last something like 5 minutes, but I suck)

bike stand for indoor biking. (not that I have done it, just an idea)

Bike stands are great for indoor workouts, but are pretty noisy and the neighbors may complain if you live in an apartment. To keep from getting too bored turn on some funny 30 minute tv show (like South Park) and do intervals to the commercials.

I use a treadmill for the off season and alternate between two routines, the first is a fast walking pace with moderate incline using handweights to keep my heart rate up for a cardio workout; the second is a slower walking pace while wearing a loaded backpack and using as steep an incline as possible to for longer periods of time to try to maintain endurance.

jump rope. (I last something like 5 minutes, but I suck)

bike stand for indoor biking. (not that I have done it, just an idea)

Bike stands are great for indoor workouts, but are pretty noisy and the neighbors may complain if you live in an apartment. To keep from getting too bored turn on some funny 30 minute tv show (like South Park) and do intervals to the commercials.

I've heard good things about jump rope - I'd do it but I'm so durn uncoordinated :blush:

I too would recommend a cycling trainer - fluid trainers tend to be quieter, but I have a Tacx Swing mag trainer , which can get quite noisy (sounds like a jet plane at higher tension levels). I bought it off of craigslist for like $75.00. This issue doesn't really matter anyways, since I train almost entirely below my anaerobic threshold during the winter and I keep it at an L1 or L2 tension. I use Cardio Coach audio workouts and I modify the intensity levels on my Spinervals videos to get me through the workout. These are really great workouts, esp. the Spinervals.

Elliptical machines are great if you have the budget and the room. The Alpine Ascents Cascades fitness program particularly recommends these.

Just my .02, whatever that is worth. Not that I'm in awesome shape or anything... :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
www.crossfit.com

Just do the WOD.

and vomit

And then go again.

:)

"It doesn't have to be fun, to be fun."

Another recommendation for CrossFit. The Doctor's Kung Fu instructor regularly punishes the class with CrossFit workouts, which always sound relatively innocuous because the exercises are so basic, but when your entire body is flooded with lactic acid after a couple minutes and you are sore for a week after a 20-minute workout, you know you're getting full value.

Last night's conditioning:

Hold medicine ball over your head and do walking lunges down the length of the training floor, then do 10 wall-balls aiming for 10' minimum, then walking lunges with the medicine ball over your head back down the floor. Then do 3 reps of "pushup walking," whereby you place the medicine ball on the floor, get in a pushup position next to it with your shoulders lined up with the ball, walk your hands one at a time onto the ball, down onto the floor on the other side, back up onto the ball, and back down on the side you started on (one rep). This series was repeated as many times as possible for about ten minutes (most people got around 3 repetitions). DFA's legs are all wobbly today. :cry:

Another vote for CrossFit. I just started a couple months ago and I love it. I've never been so sore in my whole life, yet I look forward to every class. It's totally getting me through the winter.

A sample, the other night it was someone's 29th birthday. There fore our workout was to do 29 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 squats. Then we played a game of Hooverball with an 8 lb medicine ball. Good times!