east africa climbing?

ok, just throwing this out there, but does anyone know anything about climbing in kenya and tanzania? i am going there for about four months, don't know if it will be worth it to bring my gear. though, the hike up mt. kili is planned for may, though i though other fun climbs might be squeezed in. any thoughts

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As cj said I have posted a few reports, one TR from 2 weeks on Mt. Kenya, and few TR's on climbing in Rwanda. I have also posted some links to websites such as the Mountain Club of Kenya and Planet Fear, Poi article.

I can possibly hook you up with some folks in the Nairobi area, but the Mountain Club is first place to start. It is also easy to hook up with partners at the clubs pub nights on Tuesday, directions on ther website. Depending on when you are are out in this area, if you were in Rwanda I hook you up with a place to stay, that is if you want to see a tripped out country.

Also another destination that I have been wanting to get to is the Mountains of the Moon otherwise known at the Rwenzoris. Very cool glaciated mountains on the Uganda and Congo border.

If you are going to just Killi, then you don't reallly need any technical gear. If you do Mt. Kenya proper (Batian or Nelion) you'll want gear. If you go to Rwenzoris if you just do the trek (7 days) then you don't need technical gear, but if you want the summits then I would suggest at least minimal gear for glacier travel, but there is more to do than just glacier travel. I don't much about the climbing in Tanzania, but there is rock there that I need to explore at some point.