Splitboard

eternalX

Buying a splitboard this year. Any good advice on where to get a good deal on two? I've got a buddy who is going to get one as well. Pretty sure we're going to get the viole freeride because of the price and I've used one before. Everything online seems to be full-retail. I figure there's got to be some local guy that could swing us a deal on two, don't ya think?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really funny how the topic that it takes longer to switch over always comes up. I rarely go out into the mountains race up the hill and immediately switch over to blast down the slope. Most of the time it is nice to switch, grab drink, scope a line out, hahaha.gif and munch on something. I guess those exception are when it is plain out misserable up high and/or you got limited day light and want to make it back to the car before night sets in. I guess the other exception is when I am completely stoked to yo-yo the slope that I just rode.

Basically I think this argument comes froms those who don't want to try split riding and are struggling to come up with as many excuses as to why they think split riding is a bad idea.

OK, maybe I overstated my case before. I can change modes quickly in my living room or in spring snow conditions but in typical Washington snow I have issues with snow collecting under the flange on the base ring. You guys don't have a problem with this? It isn't like it takes a ton aof time but compared to guys on teles (I may just need to change who I ride with LOL) who just peel off their skins, I take a long time.

As for hanging out at the top of a line and not rushing to change modes, I do that after a long skin up, but if I'm just yoyoing on some small ridge, I don't hang out after every lap.

yah, while splitboarding I have never once thought to myself "huh, it would be so much better if I were snowshoeing right now" and I pretty much suck ass at switching my shit over to board mode.

on the off hand - does anyone know where a backcountry halfpipe is? this is one thing I've missed not going to resorts. fruit.gif

Basically I think this argument comes froms those who don't want to try split riding and are struggling to come up with as many excuses as to why they think split riding is a bad idea.

I wasn't arguing against it, just pointing out the problems I have. I love my splitboard and don't think it is a bad idea at all.

Once again, we should have a splitboard trip this winter. Maybe we can skin up and ski Silverstar or some other stiff in the Wa. Pass area. bigdrink.gif

OK, maybe I overstated my case before. I can change modes quickly in my living room or in spring snow conditions but in typical Washington snow I have issues with snow collecting under the flange on the base ring. You guys don't have a problem with this?

spray your shit with wd40 about every 5 trips out, works great. my whole mission on the way up is to beat my tele friends so i can switch over faster, then laugh and give them shit for being slow. grin.gif

on the off hand - does anyone know where a backcountry halfpipe is? this is one thing I've missed not going to resorts. fruit.gif

there is an easily accessible natural halfpipe way skier's right on swift creek below huntoon ridge at baker. best one i've found out of bounds in the baker area. there is a ton of natural halpipes on mt hood, ecspecially at meadows. the PNW has such killer terrain! cool.gif

LBS - no idea, struck out 3 times trying to get lottery ticket. Done with that now.

I'm liking the idea of doing some WA Pass area splitting. Never been up there before and am very interested. Is this an early season thing to do?

Baker? never go there unless it is the real Mt.Baker - even then I'm huffin 2stroke not boarding.

Guess I'll have to talk my riding buds into spending a day building some walls and hits on our current favorite runs. rockband.gif

Once again, we should have a splitboard trip this winter. Maybe we can skin up and ski Silverstar or some other stiff in the Wa. Pass area. bigdrink.gif

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif At $2200 minimum to get back to Seattle, I don't think it will happen for me.

One thing is certain, those tele guys can NEVER keep up on the way down. fruit.gif

For the most part, though I been out with some pinheads that ride really fast thumbs_up.gif

OK, maybe I overstated my case before. I can change modes quickly in my living room or in spring snow conditions but in typical Washington snow I have issues with snow collecting under the flange on the base ring. You guys don't have a problem with this?

spray your shit with wd40 about every 5 trips out, works great. my whole mission on the way up is to beat my tele friends so i can switch over faster, then laugh and give them shit for being slow.

May I suggest armorall? It lasts longer than the WB40, stays on the board better and works better. Any silicone based car wax does wonders for me...

When i knew what snow was, it would take me less than 3 minutes to swap, and my tele friends would still be gasping for breathe when I was ready to go...