slippery slope getting steeper

chucK

we'd be better off if we initiated a new international treaty that specifies how to treat and try terrorist suspects. As things are now, I think that using the Geneva Conventions as the immutable standard for detaining and trying terrorist suspects is like applying the rules for civil aviation to aerial combat, and we'd be less likely to see renditions, etc if there was some kind of standard in place that addressed some of the aspects that make terrorism different from interstate warfare. As things stand now, I'd rather have the US follow the Geneva Conventions because I think that the strategic losses that not being seen to do so are more costly than the benefits we're likely to gain from the intelligence that we get. However, I would like to see us at least press the case with the Euros and others and get them to spell out exactly how they intend to apply the conventions to terrorist suspects, so that they have to abide by the same principles that they're asking the US to apply.

You mean joining into some sort of International Criminal Court? Why that would be just CRAZY. rolleyes.gif

400px-World_map_ICC_member_states.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are probably labeled war crimes in the Geneva conventions. But before you sentence someone for a war crime in the Geneva conventions the SUSPECT needs to have a fair trial. What we are discussing here (or at least the subject of my overwrought initial post) is the current administration's goal of letting us skip this little part about a trial.

Habeas Corpus is the right to a speedy, fair trial before you are punished. This seems like something JayB would agree to be a good concept, and is probably also something we could get the Euro's to agree with us on.

With respect to uniformed soldiers picked up on a battlefield in a regular war, the Habeas part is probably a bit moot as it is usually pretty obvious these people are fighting against you. No need for a trial because you are going to want to hold them until the end of hostilities so they can't shoot at you anymore.

Unfortunately, now we have the complicating factors that guerillas and terrorists don't wear uniforms AND that our current "war" basically has no end. In order to protect the many innocents from being unjustly swept up and confined indefinitely for whatever reason, there has to be some form of habeas.

As I'm sure Underworld would agree, you can't trust any govt. to be all-knowing and always perfect in their motives. There has to be some redundancy or oversight in determining who is imprisoned.

Isn't directly targeting innocent civilians, using them as human shields, and destroying/targeting places of worship against the Geneva convention?

Effectively what our "civil rights for terrorists" advocates do is to tie one hand behind our backs, beat soldiers and policy makers about the head constantly (and bite at their ankles), while humming their mantra of "we're losing, it's unwinnable, blah blah".

Isn't directly targeting innocent civilians, using them as human shields, and destroying/targeting places of worship against the Geneva convention?

Effectively what our "civil rights for terrorists" advocates do is to tie one hand behind our backs, beat soldiers and policy makers about the head constantly (and bite at their ankles), while humming their mantra of "we're losing, it's unwinnable, blah blah".

You do realize that under the current bill, we could term you a terrorist, and you could be shipped away and held indefinitely - with no possibility of habeas? That prospect doesn't frighten you?

I don't see why more people aren't furious at this attempt to remove this basic safeguard from the justice system. What is the Bush administration afraid of? If the POW's that Bush is filling Cuba with are so criminal, then why is he so worried about needing to prove this to a court?

You do realize that under the current bill, we could term you a terrorist, and you could be shipped away and held indefinitely - with no possibility of habeas? That prospect doesn't frighten you?

So you say. I believe nothing that the left says. Such is our current state of affairs in this country. The boy has cried wolf one too many times, and there's been far too much hyperbole for me to believe any of what is being posited about this bill in this debate.

So you say. I believe nothing that the left says. Such is our current state of affairs in this country. The boy has cried wolf one too many times, and there's been far too much hyperbole for me to believe any of what is being posited about this bill in this debate.

Read the fucking bill yourself you dumbshit.

You can read can't you?

AP - http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/C...-09-28-19-09-50

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate on Thursday endorsed President Bush's plans to prosecute and interrogate terror suspects, all but sealing congressional approval for legislation that Republicans intend to use on the campaign trail to assert their toughness on terrorism.

The 65-34 vote means the bill could reach the president's desk by week's end. The House passed nearly identical legislation on Wednesday and was expected to approve the Senate bill on Friday, sending it on to the White House.

The term ‘unlawful enemy combatant’ means an individual determined by or under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense— “(A) to be part of or affiliated with a force or organization—including but not limited to al Qaeda, the Taliban, any international terrorist organization, or associated forces—engaged in hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents in violation of the law of war; “(B) to have committed a hostile act in aid of such a force or organization so en5

gaged; or “© to have supported hostilities in aid of such a force or organization so engaged.

What would stop them classifying a US Citizen as an "enemy combatant"? Im amazed that the bill passed with such a majority, aparently Americans dont learn.

What would stop them classifying a US Citizen as an "enemy combatant"?

ummmm.. the same things that stop the police from classifying you as a murderer or any other common criminal.

under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense

similar to common police

A)... B)... etc

similar to common evidence and/or probable cause

What would stop them classifying a US Citizen as an "enemy combatant"?

ummmm.. the same things that stop the police from classifying you as a murderer or any other common criminal.

under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense

similar to common police

A)... B)... etc

similar to common evidence and/or probable cause

EXCEPT YOU HAVE NO RIGHT OF HABEAS CORPUS IF YOU ARE AN ENEMY COMBATANT! They don't have to tell you, or anyone else why you are being held, much less charge you or produce evidence.

The Executive branch is saying "trust us" - something directly contrary to the checks & balances that have kept america... american. Are Americans this fucking stupid? We are sliding back over 700 years!

dude...that's what i wanted to find in the bill. i didn't see it in my skimming and i'm interested in how that is detailed out.

the habeas corpus is one issue. the point and whisper is another. i'm just tired of hearing the point and whisper argument and if sneakysex's quote is the root of it, then you guys are blowing it out of proportion.

i'm willing to read and disagree with the bill if the habeas corpus bit is as cut and dry as you say it is.

Oh, the sweet irony.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

dude...that's what i wanted to find in the bill. i didn't see it in my skimming and i'm interested in how that is detailed out.

the habeas corpus is one issue. the point and whisper is another. i'm just tired of hearing the point and whisper argument and if sneakysex's quote is the root of it, then you guys are blowing it out of proportion.

i'm willing to read and disagree with the bill if the habeas corpus bit is as cut and dry as you say it is.

You don't remember Jose Padilla? thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif