[TR] Beacon Rock- Young Warriors 9/24/2006

slothrop

Climb: Beacon Rock-Young Warriors

Date of Climb: 9/24/2006

Trip Report:

JosephH and a genuine local named Jim graciously showed me around Beacon Rock on Sunday. I'm posting a TR of a cragging trade route because it was lots of fun and I was impressed with Beacon.

If you haven't climbed Young Warriors, it's worth a trip to Beacon by itself. I'd go back for sure, especially since Joseph only let me lead the first pitch wink.gif The rock is great, even on the slightly less solid second pitch, the climbing is varied, and it goes pretty much to the top of the Rock in six pitches. Belays are comfy (especially the first!) and pro is good.

Joseph and Jim care a lot about the place and it shows. They've built incredible belay ledges out of moss and rocks, camoflaged the bolts, kept "historical" pins in place, and not scrubbed huge streaks in the rock. thumbs_up.gif

Unrelated to YW: If necessary, you can rap from the fat Metolius bolts on the right side of the ledge atop the first pitch of Cruisin' with a single 60m.

Gear Notes:

Two 50m ropes for a party of three

Rack to 2.5"

Ten single runners

Ropegun and living guidebook

Approach Notes:

Construction on Hwy 14 west of Beacon might slow you down

Edited by slothrop

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just stopping on that ledge requires clairovoyance - there's old pins and bolts all over the place to make you want to go right there. i first climbed that route w/ layton shortly after moving out here and niether of us knew where the hell we were going - to this day i look around and can't figure out where we went

go back and do dod's jam/dastardly crack - not quite as long and certainly harder but a similiar uber-classic feeling route leading to the trail

He emptied a bucket full of chains onto the parking lot that day.

I don't care too much one way or another how the anchors are set up, as long as I can rap without thinking I'm going to die or kill someone below me.

What "slab" are you talking about? There are two huge rap bolts on Cruisin' and the rappel takes you down away from the line of the route, so what's the problem?

NO NO NO. DO NOT RAP OFF THE DAMN TREE ON TREE LEDGE. DON'T RAP OFF ANY TREES AT BEACON!

one of the "big issues" (apparently) that the relevant agencies have with beacon is that climbers bail off of trees. so please don't bail off any trees!

instead, you should be rapping off about 10-15 feet down and 10-15 feet to the climber's right at the top of P2 of young warriors. you get there by NOT topping out on tree ledge, and instead traversing a few right to the obvious anchors.

We three did the first pitch of Cruisin' before YW. Walk right on a grassy ledge to the bolts and you can rap. Joseph wanted to see if you could make it with a 60m rope, as he'd heard someone say you could.

It's not a great rappel, but you can, in fact, do it. Say, if you have to bail for whatever reason.

I'll be sure to pre-approve all rappels with you, kevbone, from now on.

ivan, sarcasm is lost on those who aren't in on the joke.

you and i know not to rap off the tree, but there are clearly plenty of people who don't.

so comments like yours aren't very helpful to beacon or climber's rights at and access to beacon, now are they?

(not to start a war or anything; i'd rather save my dazzling displays of wit for a different forum)

Seemed like the guy was just sharing his good experience not any beta for the route or anything. No need to get all bent out of shape. Remember...we all enjoy climbing at beacon because of the good vibe and awesome routes. So let's not rap off trees, throw rocks down from the YW top out and have a good time since the weather is in our favor.