Trip Report Threads should be:  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Trip Report Threads should be:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as a TR forum moderator I aim for something like #3. But I try to take into account things like the humour level of the original TR and whether the solid beta there is still going to be useful in 5 yrs, or it's only of short term use. One one level this is a circus and on another we are collectively building a huge database of climbing info that would ideally be searchable and usable by anyone without having to shovel through a deep layer of junk posts.

other mods may have slightly different ideas about where the fuzzy lines are. we are all pretty much on the same page about spray that degenerates into insults, or TR responses that are discouraging to the continued posting of TRs of any route - hardcore or beginner - by any user, 40 000 posts or 1.

as a TR forum moderator I aim for something like #3. But I try to take into account things like the humour level of the original TR and whether the solid beta there is still going to be useful in 5 yrs, or it's only of short term use. One one level this is a circus and on another we are collectively building a huge database of climbing info that would ideally be searchable and usable by anyone without having to shovel through a deep layer of junk posts.

other mods may have slightly different ideas about where the fuzzy lines are. we are all pretty much on the same page about spray that degenerates into insults, or TR responses that are discouraging to the continued posting of TRs of any route - hardcore or beginner - by any user, 40 000 posts or 1.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

On one level, this is a circus and, on another, we are collectively building a huge database of climbing info that would ideally be searchable and usable by anyone without having to shovel through a deep layer of junk posts.

It appears the posts of congratulation and encouragement are an acceptable form of spray in TR threads. Though, there are few who do not enjoy this positive form of spray, it is this type of post in TR threads that creates the greatest volume of non-"climbing info" that must be waded through to find subsequent posts of related information.

Perhaps a stock photo should be posted to inform that further messages of congratulation should be sent as PMs.

wolf.jpg

The previous message is intended as appendage-in-cheek and should be received in like manner

I hate your post and you are clogging up cc.com thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

I could have made the post in 1/8th the time. Not only that, but I would have passed you Eurostyle and then made it back in time to take your girlfriend out on a date in Leavenworth and then did karaoke with her and then cuddled.

In short, I rule, you drool. thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

you can all bit me. i left bright yellow webbing with a dozen neutrinos slung to a dying shrub. i think i dropped my windshirt on the descent which took us 14days in the dark. if you find please pm me.

topless descents? minx are you shamelessly angling for a khadejha sponsorship?

Crosspost from elsewhere:

"I also think that if people were honest about their experiences and emotions, quite a few of the TR's here would read quite a bit differently. There's clearly an editing process that goes on in people's heads in order to ensure that they don't expose too much of themselves and leave themselves vulnerable. That's certainly understandable, but I really think it's a shame, as the experiences that people have are way more interesting, varied, and genuine than the subtle-chestbeat-with-just-a-touch-of-faux-modesty-and-self-referential-irony that's emerged as the default tone for any TR here."

i think YOU alpinweenie should always comment on the time it took to climb said route, as compared to your personal best and the guidebook so we can evaluate the importance of weeniness...

Who was it that was recently bragging about climbing the Salathe in XX hours?

You're a dumbshit, but at least you are stirring things up a bit. I hope you stick around.

wave.gif