ski boots suck

Roscoe_M

I've been riding a pair of red garmont g-rides for about 5 years and have been suffering pretty much the whole time. Enough is enought, my wide ass feet can't handle another season in these things. I'm making the plunge this fall on new(er) pair of boots. Any other fat footers out there that have found a comfy AT boot?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wide foot and I like Garmont teleboots alot, but have been amazed about how weird and narrow the Garmont AT boot line was - ugh, painfall and crude.

However, they (Garmont) built the impressive Adrenalin boot on a whole new, fat American-foot last. I highly recommended the Adrenalins. Very comfortable, extremely powerful and not too heavy for what you get. They probably changed the name for this season.

I have been using a pair of Adrenalins for the last year and while they are not light I thought they toured just fine. Open the top buckles and power strap and the stiffness is not a problem. They can really drive the ski on the descent though they are a bit heavy. I guess you pay for what you get.

I believe I saw them called the Endorphin for this season.

Edited by robert

Don't give up on you g-rides.... go over to pro ski and throw down for Intuition liner paired with a boot stretch... less than 1/2 of new boots. Your shells are older (ie bigger to accomadate traditional liners) so you might need to go down a shell size but given your width issues ..unlikely. The other place is Custom Bootfitters on 65th and 4th NW....that dude is that BOMB but he gets a good $ for his service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so I use tele boots, Garmont or Crispi are a little wider and a thermo helps. I've tried on a number of AT boots and found Lowa Structuras mighty comfy on my wide feet, right out of the box. You might even find some on sale, as they didn't sell as well in the US as Scarpa/Garmont.

When I bought my AT boots, I had kind of decided on Scarpa boots. I had rented some and they seemed okay, but not too compfortable. I went into the Mountain Shop in Portland.

They took one look at my feet and said "No Way". My feet are short and wide. They had me try on a pair of Scarpa's and a pair of Dynafit's. I could wear a lot smaller Dyanfit and the Scarpa.

I have done multi-day tours, climbed most of the local volcanoes with them. I like them better than my plastic climbing boots. Buy somewhere that you trust and try on a lot of boots. Look into Dynafits.

The Endorphin is a new model and is supposed to be slightly beefier than the Adrenaline. Garmont is selling both this season. Specs are on the Garmont website.

I bought Adrenalines last season buying the hype that the boot was beefy enough for for really aggressive skiing but I did not find this to be the case. The cut is too low and the liner is really flimsy (and it looks like the Endorphin is the same height). I was hoping for one boot for in bounds, lift served b/c and "earn your turns" b/c and found the Adrenaline really only suitable for the last category. I stuck a pair of liners from a Lange race boot in them and the improvement was significant--made them suitable for lift served tours and tolerable for spending the whole day riding the lifts. I'm planning on getting the beefy intuition liners this year and hopefully that will make me happier with these boots.

I should mention, if it's not obvious, I prefer pretty beefy boots. My baseline is Lange race boots. If you are more focused on touring and comfort all this is probably not terribly relevant to you . . .

My recollection is the Garmonts are supposed to be somewhat higher volume than the Scarpas, which may be good for you. (I have low volume feet and fit has been another issue with the Garmonts)

If you're near Seattle, go to Pro Ski and spend some time talking to Adam and trying stuff on. That's going to be a better use of your time than reading this stuff