Outer Space Cluster F....

sampco

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never in my life seen a group so in over their heads and clueless on how to move fast...

Spent 6 hours on a sketchy descent- those mother fu...

Sounds like you were over your head and clueless on how to move fast on the descent, you mofo. pitty.gif

so GaryY, you want the right to flame without getting catching some heat? hahahahahaha

you are too much.

this is the first time i have posted today, ever. its a cool site, i like the flames sometimes. i find it absolutely feckin hilarious that a climber who was benighted at smith rocks of all places is flamin some guy for getting off OS late.

its simple GaY (can I call you this for short, just between us boys), dont flame others when you are an acknowledged expert at what you are flamin the guy for...

the subtle-chestbeat-with-just-a-touch-of-faux-modesty-and-self-referential-irony that's emerged as the default tone for any TR here

yellaf.gif such a connaisseur of the TR! do you have a computer or a snifter over there JayB

I thoroughly agree. It's a shame that anyone has to justify their actions when they didn't really do much wrong.

What I wanna know is anyone going to attempt OS during the rope-up...could be entertaining

There's just such a difference between the way things happen and the retrospective picture that people construct afterwards. This is hardly a defect that's unique to this sport or to this site - I'm as guilty of the practice as anyone, but I appreciate it when people are brave enough to be honest, and hate it when the folks that offer up neon-lit-insecurity-masquerading-as-superiority make them all the rarer.

I'm not sure that everyone pouring their hearts out all of the time, and I appreciate irony and humor as much as anyone, but one the rare occaisions when someone is honest, I wish that folks would show some class.

Hawkeye69, apparently you don't possess the third-grade reading comprehension to understand that I was criticizing the first poster for blaming his epic on other people. I did not blame my epic several years ago on anyone else, and I am not criticizing him getting in an epic. I am criticizing him for putting the blame, which should solely be his own, on others.

You don't need to bother responding. I already know what you'll say.

"Speed is Safety."

Should new climbers be encouraged to go as slow as they want? Does this not needlessly endanger those behind them? Because you "got there first", does that give you the right to "hog" a finite resource while delaying, and thereby endangering, other climbers?

People have died on that wall, perhaps because the sport contains some element of danger. The less time you spend doing dangerous things, the less likely you are to get hurt. People that do not climb do not die climbing. If you make a person spend an extra 7 hours doing something dangerous against there will because you are inexperienced, underskilled, underprepared, or "enjoying the views", that person would have a right to be pissed.

Having said that, slower parties should have no right to be pissed because they should have either:

1) Asked to pass.

2) Passed safely without permission. (Just pass them.)

3) Bailed.

4) Kept their mouth shut.

5) Not climbed Outer Space on a Saturday.

If you didn't do one of the five, perhaps it's you who lack experience.

does that give you the right to "hog" a finite resource while delaying, and thereby endangering, other climbers?

When the heck did a climbing route become lumped in with stuff like coal, breathable air, and clean water? Finite resource? there is a lot of rock around. Sounds more like too many folks with too little imagination for climbing destinations...

"Speed is Safety."

Should new climbers be encouraged to go as slow as they want? Does this not needlessly endanger those behind them? Because you "got there first", does that give you the right to "hog" a finite resource while delaying, and thereby endangering, other climbers?

People have died on that wall, perhaps because the sport contains some element of danger. The less time you spend doing dangerous things, the less likely you are to get hurt. People that do not climb do not die climbing. If you make a person spend an extra 7 hours doing something dangerous against there will because you are inexperienced, underskilled, underprepared, or "enjoying the views", that person would have a right to be pissed.

Having said that, slower parties should have no right to be pissed because they should have either:

1) Asked to pass.

3) Bailed.

Best post of the ruckus so far. thumbs_up.gif (except for my Eminem "Will the real slow party please speed up" post of course. I'm really quite proud of that one.)

LET'S KEEP THE SPIRIT GOING KIDS!!!

I think if we really all dig in and share our views, do some "out of the box" thinking, and be honest with one another, we can really get to the bottom of this thing.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE PUNCHLINE!

fruit.gifrockband.gif

"Speed is Safety."

1) Asked to pass.

3) Bailed.

people die on one pitch crags. people die of starvation. nobody died here.

we are talking about relatively short multipitch wall. an easy walk from the car. we aint talking about traffic jams on mt everest. having said that i totally agree with your 5 points of light at the end...

Dude...love the way you jump in without the facts....I think we are the team that is being slammed by some for taking our time...because we are newbies.

We are not newbies....I said I was a moderate leader, but O/S was my 11th multipitch route this summer....my partner is a competent 5.9 leader with several years of trad climbing experience, and O/S is/was well within his abilities. I lead one of the four difficult pitches - the first headwall pitch which I did cleanly, no gear pulling, no gear rests.

Postscript: I actually got a call from the team leader behind us a couple hours ago...I'd dropped a sling on one of the lower pitches, and we agreed that if they didn't catch us, I'd leave my cell# on his windshield for him to call me. We topped out at 5:40 - he and his partner topped out at 9:30 being belayed by a member of a team behind them who suggested they work as a team to get everyone to the top safely. I think they split up into teams of three to get to the top as fast and as safely as possible. Apparently that team did not have headlamps with them. Sounds like, at the end of the day, despite all the alleged animosity, they joined forces to get everyone up safely.

People did not epic because I tried a climb that pushed my abilities. My pitch went fine. People had an epic because they showed up for a popular climb after 9:30 on a beautiful Saturday morning, and insisted on attempting the route....even though they didn't have headlamps....and then persisted even though it was obvious daylight was running out....and then didn't ask to pass, or offer to help a slow party in front of them until it was already dark.

Then the real furor set in when the passive aggressive punk rock buddies got home and realized that with the six hours it took to descend in the dark, they could have driven all the way to the ORV park in Moses Lake and back and have themselves a dream weekend. Who can blame them for being bitter.

HELLO!

I am going to climb Outer-Space route on October 13. I plan to take exactly 13 hours. Therefore we will start ascent at exactly 0500 hours and finish at 1800 in order to be eating bratwursts by 2000 hours. Thank you for allowing scheduling in advance!

No one will be passing Canadian party due to enormous stench of decomposing snafflehound. Therefore we require that all faster parties show up even earlier than us. Slow parties may show up later and enjoy the show and be taking many heroic buttshots. OK?OK?

Thank you for allow Canadian to postes.