south sister snowpack report needed......

tobytortorelli

wanting to ski one or more of the sisters in early june. how's the snow down there? bachelor closed with 6" at 6000' on may 28th. this i know. but how's the sisters' looking? is there a web cam of the area? is the cascade lakes highway open? would there be ridge hopping to connect snow? any information will be helpful. T.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tt-

Jon and I were on the South sister this saturday and the snow isn't looking very good, and what is there is going quickly.

The cascade lakes highway opened up last week, so access is fine, but the forest service is in full force with their trailpass ticket books in hand tongue.gif i suggest stoping at mountain supply in bend and getting a no trail fees sticker to piss em off.

Anyhow, Jon and I were sloggin up the hill (s. side dog route) with chinook the wundermutt, and there is minimal snow until you hit moraine lake, from there, the snow is melting quick on the table, and likewise on the ridge to the summit. We spoke with some folks that skied it this past saturday and said the turns were cruddy at top, ok in the middle, and cruddy at the bottom, real thick heavy cascade cement. His comment was he wished the snow was the same as this time last year, but with this year's sunny weather... i guess that about sums it up!

bachelor is closed as of memorial day weekend... you can see the dwinidling snow pack at the web cam www.mtbachelor.com.

we recieved a trace up here at bachelor last night, but nothing that will help with the snowpack conditions on s. sister :<

Sooo, unless you are planning on skiing the glaciers on the sisters, you might want to rethink your plans!

Let me know if you decide to come down though, I'd love to tag along on any adventures, and if you need a place to crash, the unabomber shack is always open!

cheers

timmy

ps- I have a view of South sister from my window here at bachelor, so I could give you an up the minute update if needed... sorry I had to brag, but i have a sweet view from here! i'm trying to get a webcam setup from my window, but getting a private ip punched through to the isp is a bit tedious here.

[This message has been edited by tim (edited 05-29-2001).]