route topo software?

kurthicks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got an in-depth lesson in GIS yesterday, and it is way different than I thought. Topo are only one layer of the GIS world, and an array of publishing kits exist for creating topos. Because it was a small part of the whole GIS package, it wasn't on the tip of the tongue of the dude I was talking to.

Sorry I couldn't get you a better answer, and good luck with your search.

• 3 weeks later...

depends on whether you are self-published or not... there's a jillion programs that will draw a decent topo, provided you can clearly envison one...if you have a real publisher they will certainly have something to say about what programs you use and will have a whole list of some real and some bullshit reasons why their program choices are the "professional way". That said, most professional graphic "artists" have some familiarity with Adobe Illustrator. If you submit ruffs to a publisher and they hire an illustrator that person will probably be pressured to use Illustrator.

I've been an illustrator and climber for a long time and my personal approach is to draw them rather large in ink...with a technical pen, then scan them into photoshop and clean them up... then use the photoshop text tool for the type, the x's for the bolts, etc. They are clean and sharp and dont look computer generated... there are also 3,452 other ways to do it! PM me if you wanna explore further...