Mt. Hood

Jonn-E

So this is a little out of date, but from the sounds of it, it is still somewhat applicable. I climbed Mt. Hood between Christmas and New Years for the first time, and it was just peachy. I randoneed up to Pinnacle point to camp, hiked up then skied down. It's not supposed to be that warm at 9,800ft in Dec. was the prevaling thought. snow soft but firm, great for climbing, highly recommend the one day trip. However skiing down was horrendous due to poor windblown snowpack, so don't try it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

What exactly are you looking for? I've been up to Mt Hood the last two weekends in a row and ski conditions have been fine in the areas I have been in but as you probably know (I hope) conditions vary during the day and with snow fall. I haven't summitted anything--just been telemarking in the Clark Creek drainage.

What route are you thinking of? I know that Cooper is pretty thin, Eliot would be a very committing climb due to crevasse exposure. I'm sure south side is fine.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I was climbing on Hood about 3 weeks ago, and had very nice conditions on Leuthold Coulior (West side). The snow was soft and shin/knee deep below the hourglass, and wind scoured above (great for cramponing). Some of the walls on the sides of the coulior were bare rock, but there weren't any rocks coming down, just a lot of spindrift.

Watch out for warm days as there are a lot of weak layers in this snowpack. Otherwise, if you have clear days and a low freezing level, conditions on Sandy should be perfect right now.

Tim

To answer earlier questions, I guess I got the name wrong. It is a ridge that ends in a flat spot on the East side of the Southern face, barely above Illumination Rock in elevation. Go to my website to see pictures of it if you are that curious.