Name a peak for Fred?

Rad

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the original inhabitants had names for most of the mountains and rivers around NA for at least a few thousand years. Then we "discovered" them and put our names on them. It is pretentious for us newcomers to name any of them.

So, what, your parents should've consulted a psychic to find your name from a past life before they labeled you?

It's no bfd, otherwise you'd need to start going back to find what the tribe before the last tribe, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, before the tribe before them, named the shit; and still, the result would be uncertain.

The march of time is unconcerned with who it offends.

get over it

how about Inspiration peak ? Beckey was involved in climbing it's first two routes and renaming it Mt Beckey would be thematically consistent with adjacent McMillan Spires and Mt Degenhardt, both named after early North Cascades explorers. Even though Fred named it, Inspiration doesn't seem like a particularly interesting name and I can think of dozens, if not hundreds, of Cascades peaks that are actually a bit more inspiring. And since it's more of a climber's peak than a regional or tourist landmark it may be less of a hard sell than something like Liberty Bell to the USGS to rename it.

So, what, your parents should've consulted a psychic to find your name from a past life before they labeled you?

It's no bfd, otherwise you'd need to start going back to find what the tribe before the last tribe, ... named the shit; and still, the result would be uncertain.

The march of time is unconcerned with who it offends.

get over it

Fairly good stab at logic but your anger clouds your reason. Get over it.

" no bfd" is the only part you got right.

If you read the thread you will see that I am responding to the notion that we shouldn't "re"- name peaks.

Absurd. That's my point.

Thanks for backing me up. Even if you did distort it almost unrecognizably.

Try cutting back on the coffee until you get laid.

how about Inspiration peak ? Beckey was involved in climbing it's first two routes and renaming it Mt Beckey would be thematically consistent with adjacent McMillan Spires and Mt Degenhardt, both named after early North Cascades explorers. Even though Fred named it, Inspiration doesn't seem like a particularly interesting name and I can think of dozens, if not hundreds, of Cascades peaks that are actually a bit more inspiring. And since it's more of a climber's peak than a regional or tourist landmark it may be less of a hard sell than something like Liberty Bell to the USGS to rename it.

I think this is a pretty good rationale and idea...

Your second post makes me wonder if you understand what your point is, let alone anyone else.

Whether we name a natural landmark by honoring a previous culture's sensibility or use a label reflecting our own is of little consequence. Should popular assent deem it proper to use an historic name for a landmark it is still a name decided by the sensibility of our modern culture. As these issues are always determined by current notions of Right & Wrong, the paragon of "pretense" is in rationalizing that one paradigm, historic or modern, is above another.

Your statement:

...the original inhabitants had names for most of the mountains and rivers around NA for at least a few thousand years. Then we "discovered" them and put our names on them. It is pretentious for us newcomers to name any of them.
seems to indicate you believe it improper to apply new names to landmarks; that's fine and of no less value than a contrary opinion.

My assertion is that it's the victor in the conflict of opinions shaped by notions of Right & Wrong in Modernity that determines, as in this case, the proper names for landmarks. Again, time is unconcerned with who it offends.

From this comes my statement “it’s no bfd” and my suggestion “get over it”.

Considering Fred Beckey’s lifetime of activity and contributions to mountaineering (pioneering routes & showing the way to the enjoyment of mountaineering for many), and the often serendipitous and seeming unconsidered process by which many peaks have been named, I think it fine to give a new name to a peak in deference to Fred Beckey. But, we should ask whether this action would be in honor of Fred Beckey or ourselves.

If Fred Beckey were against such an action then we would be simply naming a peak in such a way to indirectly honor and validate our own mountaineering activity.

How much did my wife pay you to tell me this?

How much did my wife pay you to tell me this?

I don't understand what her motivation would be?

Your rotten bivy partner is her treasured bivy partner... she's not as shy as you.

You wretch! You made me retch, with the visual!

Several of you have raised interesting questions.

What does Fred want or not want? Why name peaks at all? Isn't there already some peak in Alaska named after him?

Would Martin Luther King Junior have wanted schools and monuments galore named after him? Would John Muir or Ansel Adams have wanted wilderness areas named after them? Probably not.

This leads to a more broad question: what is the point of a memorial?

Perhaps it is to inspire others to do great things.

If this is true, then perhaps the goals and desires of the individual being memorialized are less important than the world's view of how that person might inspire future generations of environmental advocates, human rights advocates, or climbers.

Thanks to those of you who have shared your vision of how Fred fits into our collective psyche. thumbs_up.gif