Name a peak for Fred?

Rad

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberty Bell

First, I won't call him "Fred" 'cause Mr. Beckey and I are not on a first-name basis. My only association with the man, outside of the occasional encounter in the hills, is that I was a student in his Cascade history class at Green River College, where I sat in the front row and where, at least once, I caught him looking at my girlfriend.

Although Mr. Beckey has climbed in every corner of this great continent, and even internationally, I can think of no other man who has so profoundly impacted the history of NW mountaineering. And not only is he THE authority on Cascade climbing and exploration, Mr. Beckey provides for thousands of Seattle-area aspiring alpine climbers an example of passion, energy and respect for one of N. America's great mountain ranges.

Having said this, I think it would be appropriate to name a Cascade mountain after Mr. Beckey. This mountain should have been first climbed by him, or at least feature one of his classic routes. Furthermore, I don't think the peak needs to feature his biggest, hardest or most remote climb (because we might have to look at Alaska). Instead, it would be more appropriate to select a mountain which is likely to remind generations of climbers (both expert and casual) of Mr. Beckey's contributions.

That is why I think Mike Layton's suggestion is excellent. I propose the name "Beckey's Horn" to replace "Liberty Bell".

Beckey Bell - got the ill communication

Beckey Bell - got the ill communication

If you named South Hozomeen after Beckey you wouldn't have to rename anything. It's a crime that a mountain this large and impressive doesn't have a name of its own anyway. And not only was it "the last major peak in the North Cascades to be climbed" it was a Fred FA.

If you named South Hozomeen after Beckey you wouldn't have to rename anything. It's a crime that a mountain this large and impressive doesn't have a name of its own anyway. And not only was it "the last major peak in the North Cascades to be climbed" it was a Fred FA.

How many people go climb the Hozo, ya Bozo? You just don't get it. To preserve his memory, climbers in the year 2100 shouldn't have to look at some point on the map. There needs to be a mountain, a popular and spectacular peak, that many people climb and countless people hike near or drive past, a summit that is the featured focal point of a highway viewpoint.....something that is likely to make the legend live on, even in the minds of the most casual and novice Cascade recreationalists.

To preserve his memory, climbers in the year 2100 shouldn't have to look at some point on the map. There needs to be a mountain, a popular and spectacular peak, that many people climb and countless people hike near or drive past, a summit that is the featured focal point of a highway viewpoint.....something that is likely to make the legend live on, even in the minds of the most casual and novice Cascade recreationalists.

2100? You're presumptively assuming he'll have passed-on by then!

To preserve his memory, climbers in the year 2100 shouldn't have to look at some point on the map. There needs to be a mountain, a popular and spectacular peak, that many people climb and countless people hike near or drive past, a summit that is the featured focal point of a highway viewpoint.....something that is likely to make the legend live on, even in the minds of the most casual and novice Cascade recreationalists.

2100? You're presumptively assuming he'll have passed-on by then!

Good point!

I guess that settles it. Let's rename Rainier.

Naming a Mountain after a human has to be one of the most pretentious and hubristic acts on earth. And the idea of renaming a peak after Fred Beckey ? Give me a fuckin' break.

So much for my proposing we rename Liberty Cap 'Pandora Monz'.

Actually, the original inhabitants had names for most of the mountains and rivers around NA for at least a few thousand years. Then we "discovered" them and put our names on them. It is pretentious for us newcomers to name any of them. But I guess we'll rename half of Iraq before we are done too. smirk.gif