Name a peak for Fred?

Rad

Someone once said to me that it would be fitting to rename a Cascade peak after Fred Beckey.

I agree and hope that one day the NW climbing community will rally together to make it happen.

If you were on the selection committee, which peak would you nominate and why?

I think it should meet the following criteria:

1 - Be in the US (or at least have a green card).

2 - Be in the North Cascades.

3 - Not be named after another individual.

4 - Have a lame name at present.

5 - Be substantial (interpret as you will).

6 - Be the site of a significant first ascent by Fred.

My nomination: Bear.

What are your thoughts?

Rad

ps. If you are reluctant to post your nomination in this forum you can send it to me by PM. I will save these anonymous nominations for future discussions.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the old fucker's not dead...yet

So hold off on the memorial shit (peak, awards, etc).

But if we're gonna play this game, I call his Tim Horton's mug collection.

Ronald Reagan had many buildings, etc., named after him while he was still alive. There is no rule that says you have to be dead to have a Mountain named after you.

A couple of us were discussing this topic about 20 years ago and thought that either South Hozomeen or SE Mox would be well-suited as Beckey's gravestone. Both peaks are significant, both are difficult, both were first climbed by Beckey, and both have duplicative names now.

See the US Board on Geographic Names policy on Commemorative Names. Principles, Policies, and Procedures for Domestic Geographic Names.

Beckey will have to be a dead Fred for 5 years before they’d consider naming a peak for him.

There is no rule that says you have to be dead to have a Mountain named after you.

Wrong again, dumb dumb

This true in US but other countries this is not always the case. For instance, several peaks in Antarctica were just named after the members of the expedition that made the first ascent of Vinson. Most of which are still alive. Not sure who regulates peak names in Antarctica but I would guess that the USGS Board was involved.

I am sure Fred will get a peak, but he has a few more to climb first.

There is no rule that says you have to be dead to have a Mountain named after you.

Wrong again, dumb dumb

This true in US but other countries this is not always the case. For instance, several peaks in Antarctica were just named after the members of the expedition that made the first ascent of Vinson. Most of which are still alive. Not sure who regulates peak names in Antarctica but I would guess that the USGS Board was involved.

But the whole premise was an American Cascade Peak, not a peak in another country

Someone once said to me that it would be fitting to rename a Cascade peak after Fred Beckey.

I agree and hope that one day the NW climbing community will rally together to make it happen.

If you were on the selection committee, which peak would you nominate and why?

I think it should meet the following criteria:

1 - Be in the US (or at least have a green card).

2 - Be in the North Cascades.

3 - Not be named after another individual.

4 - Have a lame name at present.

5 - Be substantial (interpret as you will).

6 - Be the site of a significant first ascent by Fred.

My nomination: Bear.

What are your thoughts?

I nominate the Lower of the Twin Shit for Brains summits as Mount Scared Silly

Edited by Markmckillop

I certainly expected a dose of spray here. That's fine.

Maybe some ideas will filter out of the phlegm, maybe not. At least the idea will be out there.

So here's a different question: if you were asked to assemble a committee to make this decision who would you nominate (other than Mike Spray-ton)?