Mt. Hood update - 11/11/00

snowleopard_x

The mountain is definately climbable up the South Side route (and probably West Crater, or even other routes) weather pending. Everything is frozen into place, and the 'schrund is still visible, but not gaping. My guess is that 10 teams went up this past weekend, all up the South Side (I checked the registry) and had good, but cold weather. Watch the weather if you're planning on giving it a go over the next few weeks. Also know that apparently no climbing Rangers are working on the mountain now. More than one team from Friday had not signed out, and those forms are almost always pulled by the USFS daily, yet they were still there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries...I've climbed the south side more than thirty times and I never leave Timberline any later than 1 am. I've never wanted to hang out on the hogsback as the sun cooks that slope.

I always try to be back down off the summit at Crater Rock by about 7 or 8 in the morning.