Stove and Fuel bottle transport on airplanes

dbb

Anyone have suggestions on how to transport stoves and empty fuel bottles through the airplane system? Seems like different companies have different policies--we're flying continential.

I had thought of mailing them (USPS), but have people been hasseled for putting it in their check lugage?

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that you can transport empty fuel bottles, as long as they do not smell of gas. In preparation for flying to Alaska, I've emptied bottles, washed them with dish soap, and let them air out. Voilla - smells like new. You can pump air through your MSR or similar stove, and then leave the fuel cap off one that has a built in tank, and you will probably pass an inspection. Or you might bring a brand new stove, still in its package. The problem is, however, that if you are going somewhere weird, you may have trouble getting good quality fuel to refill them when you get there (the kerosene available in Nepal, for example, makes a quick mess out of a multifuel stove). Some destinations (I've heard about this when planning travel to coastal Alaska) have ground shipping services, or boat shipping, but this is slow. Also, you have to have an 800 number for the shipper to call if there is a spill or damage to your shipment. Another possibility I've heard of is to order fuel cartridges for a propane stove and have the delivery address be your destination - this way the vendor has to make the arrangements.

[This message has been edited by mattp (edited 05-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mattp (edited 05-31-2001).]

Again, depends on the airline. I've travelled with stoves on planes before without a problem, but the reason dbb asked, is because Continental, which is a really really *lame* airline, explicitly forbids any kind of camping stove or bottle, even if it's been purged of fuel, even if it's brand new. Says so on their website, and that's what they told me in person.

But can you get away with it? What happens if you get caught? It's definitely *not* a violation of FAA regulations (since other airlines do allow purged stoves/bottles), so probably just lose your stove, no fine...

Has anyone flown on Continental, or any of the other stupid airlines that prohibit stoves, and what did you do?

The most important aspect to getting your stove and fuel onto an airplane is to be prepared to LIE WITH A STRAIGHT FACE.

The above advice is good about washing the bottles, etc, also store your pumps in seperate bags in different parts of your gear. Leave caps off of your bottles and make sure that you really have gone to great lengths to eliminate any and all gas residue. (You can claim that they're drinking bottles)

But in the end, it all comes down to this: when they ask you if you have any stoves, shake your head, look sincere, and say no. Otherwise your stuff can get confiscated - it's not just continental, I believe that it's official FAA policy that the stuff is not allowed. (Look at that card with all the pictures of stuff you're not allowed to have and camping stoves are prominant). It's a one size fits all policy to relieve the desk agents of the need to exercise any personal judgement. It would be dangerous to have some gas can rupture in an unpressurized airplane and spray fuel all over the place, so they make a simple rule that any idiot can follow, even if it doesn't make any sense in the specific instance of a well cleaned stove and empty bottles.

I flew up to Alaska (on Alaska Airlines) last year and had my fuel bottles in my carry on luggage and stove in my checked luggage. No one asked about them, even after rifling through my carry on luggage at the x-ray machine. I guess they're used to that sort of thing flying to Anchorage. I've flown numerous times with stoves and bottles and have never been hassled. Maybe it's like crossing the border into Canada - if you truly BELIEVE you won't get hassled...you won't.

The FAA does have restrictions against carrying fuel bottles and stoves in carry on luggage, but each airline enforces ALL the FAA regs on a selective basis. as with the preceding respondants, I'd reccomend washing the bottles and letting the fuel evaporate out of any stove you'll be bringing with you. A valuable principle to keep in mind on matters such as these is

" Admit nothing,

If you're suspected, deny everything,

and if you're caught, lie."

"I don't have any fuel bottles- oh wait, did I really pack those- I could have sworn we shipped those parcel post!"

To answer your question simply. You can not transport hazardous material on an aircraft. An empty fuel bottle is not hazardous! Let all the fuel evaporate and ship the bottle with no cap on it. Burried in luggage (that way they wont see it and ask stupid questions). I have shipped many interesting objects on aircraft including compressed air tanks, Which is no problem as long as there is no compressed air in them and the valve is left open. A stove is also not hazardous as long as it does not have any fuel left in it.

I flew on Continental to and from Peru last year. I had my empty fuel bottle, and stove (used, not new) packed in the middle of my backpack. I was able to check my bags, no problem. I was a little wary about having it in a carry-on, but found no problem checking it. They could be just covering themselves, so they don't have to make sure people have them empty, they just tell people they can't bring them...

At one point I worked for MSR for awhile and I dealt with this issue frequently through incoming phone calls. Unfortunately, some of the airlines maintain a Zero Tolerance Policy when it comes to fuel containers and camps stoves of any sort. No matter how much you try to educate the airlines, they are trying to cover their butts and will interpret (and enforce) FAA regulations at their discretion. Another strike against you is the appearance of many fuel bottles: bright red and the words "Fuel Bottle" printed on the side. I try to use the silver bottles when I travel. Titanium is not cheap, but it has it's advantages. You can also go so far as to fill up your clean fuel bottles with water and write H2O on the sides with a big black marker. Dissasembling stoves as much as possible and packing the components in different bags may buy you some lee way as well. Good luck.