Anybody climb Lib Ridge about this time of year?

Jens

I'm curious how it was.

I had an old rock climbing partner that climbed it this time of year and said he had a blast. The rangers told him he was crazy when he registered. He liked climbing choss and was an expert ice climber though. I know the first ascent was about now. Anyone venture up on the route just to get a different experience then the standard late spring early summer outing that we've all had?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was up on Curtis Ridge 2 weeks ago, have quite current pics of route/LR, PM me if you want pics. Both LR, Willis, Upper Russel were a bowling alley of constant rock/icefall, no water above 7500ft along Curtis, crossing of Carbon looked challenging to say the least.

csrh at oz dot net

• 3 weeks later...

Great post on Curtis Ridge ascent. I'm interested in Liberty Ridge. I've only climbed the DC route and been up to Schurman a few times (weathered out). What time of year is best to climb liberty ridge? Is ice climbing required? Do most people camp at glacier basin-curtis ridge-thumb rock-summit?

• 1 month later...
Great post on Curtis Ridge ascent. I'm interested in Liberty Ridge. I've only climbed the DC route and been up to Schurman a few times (weathered out). What time of year is best to climb liberty ridge? Is ice climbing required? Do most people camp at glacier basin-curtis ridge-thumb rock-summit?

Carrie, we love your enthusiasm but your post implies a considerable lack in research and experience. I'd suggest at least looking at the Beckey guide, and if you have the time check at Alex Van Steen's and Mike Gauthier's guidebooks as well. That should straighten you out and answer all your questions. Not trying to be mean, and Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Ptarmigan Ridge late August/early Sept once in a one-day shot. Was a great, crazy like experience. That upper ice chute was total dinner-plate ice...doable, and a good challenge with ol'skewl Chouinard tools and Salewa's. My partner from P Ridge had also done Liberty in late September with a couple of Rainier regulars. They talked about scratching their way up the ice, but pulled it off and seemed to enjoy the experience. I don't remember them saying anything about it other than it was thin and committing in some places...with the expected choss. Guess it depends on the year, approach conditions, shrund, and moving quick to minimize exposure.

Good luck if you do it sometime late season. Would be great to see your pics.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in checking out Liberty Ridge next year at least till thumb rock. If the conditions are good, I may try to go up all the way. What time exactly do you think would be the best time to go next year. I am thinking late May to early June, but I know that weather can be pretty bad during that time. How much much vertical feet of ice climbing can be expected during that time and at what degree of vertical.

I did Lib Ridge on July 5th last year, it was definitely chossy with long sections of steep ice above Thumb Rock. There was constant rockfall all around and a nice ice/snow avvy off of Ptarmigan ridge. We simul-climbed above thumb rock, and only protected one move near the top with two screws about 10 feet apart. When we did the route I don't think anyone had been on it for over a week or two. Also, we put in at White River... saves lots of time from the Isput approach. Good Luck.