Cruiser via Mildred Lakes...

Tom

Finally summited Cruiser this weekend, 3rd time's a charm... The first time was weather, the second time I got to the step at the beginning of the last pitch, but started puking due to dehydration. I belayed my partner up, but decided to stay down due to the ensuing light-headedness. [Mad]

This time was totally different - we decided to try the Mildred Lakes approach for a change of scenery (since the road has been fixed). Hiked in on Friday - the trail is up and down with some steep sections, and got to a great camping spot at the big lake around 3:30. We spent the rest of the afternoon doing some bouldering on some of the surronding rock. There was no wind, and the sky was crystal as we were above the marine layer.

Saturday, we headed up on a bushwhack (or is that a bushthwack) towards Alpha. About 2 hours later, we made it above the avalanche alder, to some great outcrops for pictures and views. We traversed to the south under Alpha to catch the middle of the Cruiser route 1A. Up the remaining 5.4 pitch of 1A (which has a 5.7 crux by the way), to the step to finish at the traditional route. Spent about half an hour on the summit as there was no wind, and the late autumn sun just lit everything up. We didn't see or hear anyone else the whole trip!

Instead of going down the same way we came up, we decided to just head down the drainage at the base of the second repel. There had been no rock activity the whole day - everything was stable. I headed down first while my partner manged the ropes. About half down, I hit a wall that required a repel. Instead of waiting for the ropes to catch up, I found a dihedral that had heather growing most of the way down. So I hopped in and pulled successive monkey moves to hand over hand down the 40 foot cliff! Very fun!

Since we were pretty lazy, we decided to camp in Saturday night instead of headlamping out. The trail is tricky with numerous spurs, and the steep sections require attention to detail with overnight packs. So up early the next morning, and back at the car by 10:00 - and home for pizza and beer. [big Drink][big Drink]

An aside - there were numerous areas where people decided to just crap and drop their paper - come on, either pack it out or bury it!!!! [Mad][Mad]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going in from Flapjack - you have to register at Stairase because you'll be in ONP, and pay for camping. Not quite 8 miles in to the lakes, the first 4 a flat, bug infested slog down an old road, and then up from there - a little over 4 hours for me with gear. I've done it under headlamp without problems. The approach takes about 90 minutes from Flapjack lake to get up to Needle Pass. You'll probably need crampons/ice axe for the approach up the snow field. Then another hour over two minor peaks on the ridge to get to the beginning of Cruiser.

To get to Mildred, you just need the parking pass for the National Forest. 4.4 miles to the lakes. The trail is more difficult, and you have to cross two ridges to get to the lakes. The trail would be tricky under headlamp due to many spurs, and there are some hand over hand sections, similar to or worse than the Constance Lake trail - again about 4 hours for me. There is suppose to be a trail from Mildred up to Needle Pass, but we couldn't find it - so we just headed up the best looking route towards the base of Cruiser. Due to the brush, it took a while (4 hours), but the viewpoints are really good.

So what to do you like to do? We were interested in an alternative route, and trying something new. I think the asthetics from Mildred were nicer, but access to the ridge from Flapjack is easier. If the objective is Cruiser, Horn, Fin, Needle - go to Flapjack. If you want better views, and Cruiser and Alpha, go to Mildred.

• 5 weeks later...