my opinions of CC.com

Gary_Yngve

If you don't like it you don't have to read it.

As far as thread hijacks and hijinks what does it really matter if a thread about the NR Stuart, Dragontail, Liberty Bell, CBR, Prusik, Burgundy Spire, SEWS, etc. etc. gets sprayed on? Is there really any more relevant info to add that can't be found on this site already?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be sweet if we just deleted all trade route TRs from the database. Then we would have like 30 TRs on this website and half would belong to Layton. Boy would that be cool. We should delete all trade route beta requests too. We actually shouldn't talk about trade routes at all. This website should strictly be the realm of the dozen guys who climb new routes AND post TRs. Everyone else should be relinquished to spray until they put up an FA that is deemed hard enough by choada boy.

I read or browse most of the TRs that pop up. Even if it is just to glance at some pictures, I still think they are the best part of this website. I personally think that limited spray in TRs is fine as it keeps them fun to read. However I agree that this spray should be reserved for non-newbs, or newb posters that you personally know.

Why post a TR at all? It's just a waste of 1's and 0's, unless it's an FA, FWA, FS, FFS, FWS, or a second ascent (to confirm the rating). Should I post a TR every time I do a climb that's already been done a hundred times? LAME...

"We climbed [insert name of trade route HERE] and I'd like the whole world to read about my experience." Save it for your diary.

Yea, but some of us actually use this site to get some beta, or to hear about a trip that went bad, not to mention some of the great pictures. It also gives people a chance to see route conditions. If you don't like seeing a TR from some trip, simply don't click on it.

As for CC, there is some very useful information provided here, and for the most part, people are pretty nice. There will always be assholes, thread stealers, etc. Its the price of getting some good info, seeing good pics, and talking like a pirate.

If you don't like it you don't have to read it.

As far as thread hijacks and hijinks what does it really matter if a thread about the NR Stuart, Dragontail, Liberty Bell, CBR, Prusik, Burgundy Spire, SEWS, etc. etc. gets sprayed on? Is there really any more relevant info to add that can't be found on this site already?

Ross, think of these climbs as poems. We're each interpreting a the poem in our own way, with our own experience. To some, the poem is an epic one. To others, a hiaku.

Why post a TR at all? It's just a waste of 1's and 0's, unless it's an FA, FWA, FS, FFS, FWS, or a second ascent (to confirm the rating). Should I post a TR every time I do a climb that's already been done a hundred times? LAME...

"We climbed [insert name of trade route HERE] and I'd like the whole world to read about my experience." Save it for your diary.

...and then once, like, i went to an REI store, and like, got all ferocious-looking-like and scared the employees into giving me another helmet...it was RAD

geer notes:

one helmet, freshly sat upon

two beerz, for liquid courage

one puny employee

keyboard for chestbeat spray fest tr

Approach notes:

-go up the stairs to the customer service dep't

-locate most-frightened looking employee

-start hyperventilation and foaming at the mouth to more closely approximate a rabid tool

-quickly locate nearest cybercafe to spray while the adrenaline is flowin'

1) My local REI has only ONE floor.

2) I got my money back.

3) You remember my TR about going to a store. AWESOME!!

I think the most valuable TRs are the ones where Gary describes his epic dealing with the room booking lady at the University. I can't figure out why they won't print that shit in Alpinist instead of that dumb story about the biker chicks.

I like his dates the Rosy and her sisters

- The cost/cover charge of posting here is you will receive some amount of spray. Some more than others.

- If this is too "expensive" for you then other BB exist that might be more to your liking.

- I think the amount of spray has more or less stayed the same over the past 3 years I have wasted here... it just might seem like it has increased to you because you are now in the cross hairs.

- I like most TRs... with the exception of the occasional deserving candidates I think TRs shouldn't be sprayed on (light banter is okay). I think the enforcement of "spray free zones" has relaxed over the years in both TRs and other forums.

- I as well as most users here read just about everything as you never know when a freshiez TR is going to have a photo of some unclimbed ice in the background.

The other (primary for me) reason for reading TRs is I just plain enjoy hearing about a newbie absolutely stoked about their first alpine climb... or something like that. Yeah lots of us could and do solo the tooth *but* hearing someone truly stoked about their first adventure is awesome... at least for me.

I think you need to ask yourself: Why do you post TRs? Because you truly had an awesome time and want to share it with others? If that isn't the reason then I bet you will never be happy with the response you get to your TRs.

4479die.JPG

I think the most valuable TRs are the ones where Gary describes his epic dealing with the room booking lady at the University. I can't figure out why they won't print that shit in Alpinist instead of that dumb story about the biker chicks.

thumbs_up.gif

gary, i'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but you are probably the cc.com drama queen of all time.

and we promise to respect you for that.

... does it really matter if a thread about the NR Stuart, Dragontail, Liberty Bell, CBR, Prusik, Burgundy Spire, SEWS, etc. etc. gets sprayed on? Is there really any more relevant info to add that can't be found on this site already?

cry.gif

Ross, you're hurting my feelings. I posted those TRs for YOU buddy!

Climbing is as much about humanity as it is the mountain. I enjoy reading Matt's trip up Da Toof with his nephew, the epics by people having unplanned bivies on routes the hardmen are doing in a day, the alpine stoke that NOLSe mentioned...

This thread is not just about me -- if it were, the easy fix would be simply "Ignore User" for probably about a dozen people. But the spray does have a chilling effect toward other people, and I don't know what the fix is for that. If it were my board, I would have become the "benevolent dictator" and banned certain people a long time ago. Yes there are other boards that are friendlier than here, but this board is unique in the amount of users and information that one can get.

i don't know that i want to hang out in the flesh or in the 0's n' 1's w/ folks whose skin is too thin for the most holy and reverent fuck-word and all the glorious jives that follow in it's spirit. basically this board's just like a damn locker room and that's all good - otherwise i'd check out climbingmormons.com

This thread is not just about me -- if it were, the easy fix would be simply "Ignore User" for probably about a dozen people. But the spray does have a chilling effect toward other people, and I don't know what the fix is for that. If it were my board, I would have become the "benevolent dictator" and banned certain people a long time ago. Yes there are other boards that are friendlier than here, but this board is unique in the amount of users and information that one can get.

And do you know why there's information Gary? Because of the spray. Content is inversly proportional to moderation in my experience.

Gary said:

..... so what I'm asking is:

1) What's the consensus of everyone who posts here regarding spray, insults, hijacking, abuse of newbs, etc.? (Opinions of real people, not avatars.)

You won't find consensus, but my opinion is if everyone knew who was posting, and not under a pretend name, there would be signifigant improvement. Interestingly, some of the real asswipes have left. Trask for instance, was not even a climber, he merely liked abusing people. I've had a couple of abusive posts just evaporate and suggest the mods do that when when see it. Not just to mine I mean either:-)

Gary said:

.....2) Will the "abusers" voluntarily control themselves if consensus dictates as such?

Abusers can't control themselves which is why they head down that road to start with, let a mod just delete the real mean trash, humor stays.

Gary said:

.....I haven't posted trip reports / photos here in about a month partially because of my frustrations with certain posters on this site, and for now, I think I'll keep it that way.

Thats too bad as you're not alone, I know exactly what you mean. Hope you change your mind at some point. I think it's better than it use to be.

begging.jpg

Told ya this would happen.

But the spray does have a chilling effect toward other people, and I don't know what the fix is for that. If it were my board, I would have become the "benevolent dictator" and banned certain people a long time ago. Yes there are other boards that are friendlier than here, but this board is unique in the amount of users and information that one can get.

Very true. We do likely miss out on a lot of quality because of the overall atmosphere on the board. But on the flip side if it wasn't for the board atmosphere who knows if cc every would have survived past the early days... hard to say...

However if you are truly passionate about climbing you will find those people who choose to not post here... one of the best examples I can think of is Craig... he has only been climbing 2 years or so but he loves it so much that he ended up connecting with Pete Doorish (who will never post here) and as a result likely knows more about what Pete has and hasn't done in WA as well beta for various routes then all of us here combined.

Answer your calling... make sure your calling is true.

John, please keep the inappropriate subject headers away.

I'm passionate enough about climbing to know a lot of people who post here and who don't post here. I run the UW club, am getting more involved with the Mountaineers, help with NWMJ, go on the occasional SAR mission, etc. But it's not a fulltime passion.

I'm happy with the state of affairs on the UW board, but we're a smaller crowd. You also won't see many FAs there either. But we're all warm and fuzzy and happy.

Here is nice, but I think it could be better, and that task shouldn't have to fall into the moderators' hands.

John, please keep the inappropriate subject headers away.

I'm passionate enough about climbing to know a lot of people who post here and who don't post here.

Wow. There are people who don't post here? Or are you saying you know Colorado people, like Micah and Timmy?

I run the UW club, am getting more involved with the Mountaineers, help with NWMJ, go on the occasional SAR mission, etc. But it's not a fulltime passion.

But how many years of retail experience do you have?

I'm happy with the state of affairs on the UW board, but we're a smaller crowd. You also won't see many FAs there either. But we're all warm and fuzzy and happy.

Cause you banned everyone who didn't kneel and HCL.gif?

Here is nice, but I think it could be better, and that task shouldn't have to fall into the moderators' hands.

In other wqords, even though you aren't a moderator, you want to moderate. One board isn't enough? Maybe the Mounties should offer a course in basic and intermediate moderrating. You could teach it!

"Learn Moderating From Experienced Instructors" hahaha.gif