[TR] Around Mt. Hood- Timerline Loop Trail 9/8/2006

AlpinistAndrew

Climb: Around Mt. Hood-Timerline Loop Trail

Date of Climb: 9/8/2006

Trip Report:

Last year, a few buddies and I hiked around Rainier in one push, this year, we opted for something less challenging, so we did the Timberline Loop Trail encircling Hood. The trail has about 8900 elevation gain and is 40 miles long. We started at Timberline lodge and hike counter-clockwise. I hiked with Masternate32 and my buddy BJ. We had very lightweight packs, essentially nothing. we hiked it in 16 hours, a bit longer than anticipated, but still good enough for us. The trail was great. Never too hard. Unlike the Wonderland Trail, this trail never did ridiculous switchbacking (except one time). I've never seen Mt. Hood so nasty lookin'. So bare. Great weather. I was glad to be done.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can field this one I guess. All the rivers were fairly easy to cross with poles. We were worried about the Sandy because we would have to cross it right when it was flowing the most, but it was nothing more than a creek. It was also very easy to find the trail. The rangers have done a good job flagging and setting up cairns to lead you to the crossings and back to the trail.

Thanks Farrgo. I was looking for one last good run for the year. When I did it last year, Sandy was a little sketchy in the pitch black and a narrow log. Whiteriver, going CCW has a clear entrance, but always seems difficult to crawl out of once to cross the main river. Newton is similar except finding the opening to the trail on the otherside also is a little challenge. Anyway, thanks for the info. bigdrink.gif

I was literally jogging from White to Tline that first day of rain. I'd had a river flowing under my tent, and there was a good 8-10" of water in the trail. It was one of those times when you can't possible get any wetter, so you don't even worry (fortunately it wasn't cold).

That B-52 at the lodge was pretty nice after! bigdrink.gif