S. Brother conditions

rollo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the deal with the Hamma Hamma road these days? Is the FS ever going to repair the washout? I haven't been up there in a couple years and it was kind of sketchy for anything but big truck. Have people made a few ad hoc improvements? Just how passable is it?

Goat Boy: Its pretty bad. Most people park at the washout and hike in. Actually, I'm the only person I've seen drive past it and park at the trailhead. I've got a 4x4 F150 and a 4x4 bronco that make it over with some coaxing. The Putvin trail is roughly 2 miles from the washout. Talked to a ranger up there 2 weeks ago and said they were supposed to start clearing it anytime. As of Friday it was still untouched. Your trail pass dollars at work.

Thanks Rollo. Is the road in good shape up to Mildred Lakes Trail Head? That's a good early season approach to Cruiser, The Fin and the rest of the Sawtooths (when snow covers the brush). Since you did Stone, have you done the nice half day high traverses from there: Lake of the Angels to First Divide and St. Peter's Gate to Upper Lena? No climbing but really nice xcountry rambling. Great way to approach Stone if you want to tour the area and spend a night or two out.

Don't know what the road looks like to mildred lakes, but its fine up to Putvin and a little ways beyond. I've gone from Lake of the Angels to Mt. Stone before, but not the upper Lena-st. Peter's gate. I'd like to bag the stone-skokomish traverse sometime, though Mt. Skok looks like a lot of scree up the east side. Cruiser looks like fun though.

You're right, it is a steep flaky scree slope to the summit, which drops almost vertically down to the stagnent glacier on the other side. Few people wander up that way. Lake of the Angels to First divide starts at pass above the lake and drops into the headwater basin (upper east branch of the Skok)and traverses north to the obvious ridge on the opposite side. Look for the so called "arrow" formation. Follow the open ridge toward Mt. Hopper and historic and beautiful Beverly Basin, passing high above Hagen Lake. This is where the O'Neil party bagged a record Elk during their expedition. From there you can descend Beverly Basin and work around Hopper to Home Sweet Home, or stay high and pick up a way path toward First divide. Easy hike up to Mt. Hopper from the upper basin. Really nice, seldom visited and surprisingly accessable traverse.