Numb Hands

So...I've amped up my training lately, and on a nightly basis I wake up with parts of, or the entirety of, either or both hands "asleep". This is pretty much "normal" for me, but as I've started training harder, the intensity of the numbness seems to be increasing. Bear in mind that this is only at night, during the day there seems to be no problems, although ocassionally the left hand can feel a slight touch "tingly" during the day. Any thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually numb hands, especially at night is due to transient nerve compression most commonly in neck/shoulder region (the compression is more often than not due to swelling and fluid pressure). This frequently comes from overtraining, or from developing imbalances in strength and/or flexability. You can usually correct it through a series of stretches and appropriate therapeutic exercises, as well as cutting back on training for a little bit. Your best bet would be to get evaluated by a good PT or chiropractor. PM me if your looking for suggestions.

Usually numb hands, especially at night is due to transient nerve compression most commonly in neck/shoulder region (the compression is more often than not due to swelling and fluid pressure). This frequently comes from overtraining, or from developing imbalances in strength and/or flexability. You can usually correct it through a series of stretches and appropriate therapeutic exercises, as well as cutting back on training for a little bit. Your best bet would be to get evaluated by a good PT or chiropractor. PM me if your looking for suggestions.

Justin, listen to this guy. That B6 thing is not your problem...in face B6 can help many folks w/nerve irritation issues.

Anyway, whoever you go see, mention the fact you are an asshole motorcycler now too.

I think your problem is playing "The Stranger" a bit too much.

Welcome to the numb hands club. It's a sign you're actually getting off your ass and overdoing it, even if it is only training. moon.gif

Sounds like nerve compression. I had the same thing as I increased the amount of climbing. I don't think I paid it the proper attention early enough and it progressed to ongoing numbness, mild loss of hand stregth, and nerve pain in my arms and fingers during the day (for days to weeks) after really hard climbs or long bike rides (30+ miles). Once I finally got it check out it turned out to be thoracic outlet syndrome, see some previous discussions or do a google search.

Stretching of the neck and shoulders (and massage with bad flareups) have helped with the symptoms and I can ride my bike without much pain afterwards. But I haven't really been able to rock climb without pain for 2 years. Don't ignore it.