VW Purchases Cascade Crags

scot'teryx

For those of you that only use a non gri-gri belay device that's like saying you only know how to use a manual vehicle verses an automatic vehicle. There's benefits to both.

Using an ATC or other non-auto-locking device doesn't mean it's the only thing one knows how to use. Do you really think people who drive manuals have no idea how to drive an automatic? The reverse may be true, both with cars and with belay devices. Not to mention gri-gri's are not 100% failsafe - even in the manual Petzl tells you to pay attention and keep your hands on the rope. It's surprising how many people ignore that. I think someone posted a link about common mistakes in using a gri-gri but I can't find it.

Not a big deal, just my 2 cents.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...It's a shame that you only try something once and make an option based on one experience. Did you like broccoli as a kid? I didn't but I sure do like it now.

Open up your minds and your body will follow. cantfocus.gif

I guess I should try jabbing a pencil through my hand again. It wasn't much fun as a kid when I tried it the one and only time in my life, but I'm an adult now and it might be fun!

Thanks TradBetty!

try poking it through yer ear...it'll be more fun for us to watch that...

I don't understand why anyone would care that you have to use grigris on the toprope routes. Do you just not feel hard enough when you're using a grigri?

listen...catturdeat is just pissed that the vw won't let him provide knot tying seminars for their members...

Not to mention gri-gri's are not 100% failsafe - even in the manual Petzl tells you to pay attention and keep your hands on the rope. It's surprising how many people ignore that.

Watched a girl go splat while being lowered last night at VW. Her partner couldn't really come up with a good excuse.

Hey, the real issue isn't the merit of the belay device, it's choice. People don't like to be told what to do or how to do it. Experienced climbers want to make their own choices, not have someone else make choices for them.

you're not being told what to do.... if you use a gri-gri at vw - it's because you CHOOSE to go there. wazzup.gif

I liked stone gardens better for a lot of reasons. Mellower crowd, cooler vibe, better bouldering, and....the lead routes were never that crowded, and often empty, even during the busiest after-work megaclusters. Start off with the leading, wait 'til the bouldering mobile-cluster departs, then do a few problems. Great fun.

UW rock in the summer, SG in the winter. Great combo.

Hey, the real issue isn't the merit of the belay device, it's choice. People don't like to be told what to do or how to do it. Experienced climbers want to make their own choices, not have someone else make choices for them.

you're not being told what to do.... if you use a gri-gri at vw - it's because you CHOOSE to go there. wazzup.gif

This is now getting into semantics. Enough.

Another thing I wonder about is what will become of the carpet over foam at Cascade Crags? Will they rip it out and go back to gravel? I rather like the carpet, as it makes for a clean environment. It's good for top roping, but it sucks for bouldering. I dislike dragging crash pads around.

Another thing I wonder about is what will become of the carpet over foam at Cascade Crags? Will they rip it out and go back to gravel? I rather like the carpet, as it makes for a clean environment. It's good for top roping, but it sucks for bouldering. I dislike dragging crash pads around.

VW Seattle recently replaced the gravel with foam in the bouldering area, so probably not.

the other day at VW, some dude was complaining to his buddy about the gri-gris and how they are anchored to the ground instead of to the belayer. he was crying about how it isn't realistic to 'real' climbing.

my first thought was that the gym isn't there to simulate real belaying or to teach noobs how to use a gri gri. the gym is for pulling on plastic and working moves/gaining strength.

my second thought, as he was pointing out to his bud that some routes are all the same color holds while others are the same color tape... yet he had no problem w/ that being 'not realistic to the outdoors'

the gym and their respective belay devices are what they are. you can't go AND complain. that's like complaining about your gas bill and driving an SUV... or just driving at all.

'climbing' in a gym is like 'hiking' on a treadmill. it's got it's roll, you should expect nothing more or less.

I wish VW all the best in the new location... talking with the new owner yesterday it sounds like they have some awesome improvements in the works.

Thanks to Mike Palmer for hosting the Ice Fest the past five years... too bad VW won't continue the tradition.

And I promise the foam will get lots of use in its new home... thanks again!

hahaha.gifhahaha.gifhahaha.giffruit.gifrockband.gifthumbs_up.gifwazzup.gif

605568-booty.JPG

605568-booty.JPG.fb0efb501bf42b055c2d3f1d0fac3048.JPG

Edited by John Frieh

• 4 months later...

There was a thread on RC.com in which Malcom Daly stated,

"DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE GIVE A CINCH, GRIGRI (ETC) TO A BEGINNER. "

That's standard procedure at VW.

Though it's understandable that on the surface it appears that way, it is NOT in fact 'standard procedure' to give a gri-gri to a beginner. Every time belaying is taught (Intro to climbing classes, Junior Program age 10-16, Little Rockers age 6-9, college school groups, lead clinics, etc...) it is taught no different than most other climbing gyms/companies are teaching belaying...with a locking carabiner and an ATC, using the proper hand motion and the brake hand ALWAYS being on the line (the last part the MAJOR emphasis).

Further, anyone new to the gym who chooses not to take the class and wishes to simply take a standard belay test must also demonstrate their proficiency first with the ATC method, and THEN with the VW fixed anchor/Gri-gri set-up.

Hope that helps shed some light on the methods.

Cheers.