[TR] Mount Stuart- Complete North Ridge 9/7/2006

Alpinfox

Climb: Mount Stuart-Complete North Ridge

Date of Climb: 9/7/2006

Inspired by TELEMARKER & FRIEND'S TRIP REPORT, ChucK and I took a day off from work yesterday to climb the North Ridge of Mt. Stuart. ChucK had done it once before with a camp and a bivy, and I had never done it before, but we figured we'd give it a go in crazy car-to-car style.

Everything went really smoothly, and I don't have very much to add that hasn't been said before about this route. In fact, our experience was so similar to Telemarker's trip report that I considered just taking their report and photoshoping ChucK's and my faces over theirs. Anyway, here are a few random musings:

The first two pitches of the lower ridge are really nice. I think the second pitch we did was the "Kearney death corner" (read his description in Classic Climbs of the Northwest and you'll know what I'm talking about). He says that pro is sparse and the corner is dangerous, but it must have been cleaned up since he did it, because it is easily protectable now. Anyway, we belayed the first two pitches of the lower ridge, simuled to the gendarme, did the gendarme in one pitch, and then simuled to the summit.

I thought the second half of the Gendarme pitch (the offwidth section) was the hardest section of the climb. The second pitch of the lower ridge was next in difficulty, then the first half of the gendarme pitch, then the first pitch of the lower ridge. Everything else was surprisingly easy. I expected more difficult climbing overall, but the CNR is very cruxy.

This is (obviously) a fantastic route. Almost 3000' of technical climbing on nearly flawless rock. Definitely deserving of it's "Classic" status. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

We did not see a single person all day. Nice to have such an awesome mountain all to ourselves.

ChucK leading the first pitch on the lower ridge:

1826NRidgeStuart_010x.jpg

Starting the simulclimb block just above the second pitch of the lower ridge:

1826NRidgeStuart_011x.jpg

ChucK on the sharp ridge below the gendarme:

1826NRidgeStuart_016x.jpg

ChucK heading up the slab below the gendarme:

1826NRidgeStuart_020x.jpg

Looking up the slab pitch below the gendarme:

1826NRidgeStuart_021x.jpg

Starting the gendarme pitch:

1826NRidgeStuart_027x.jpg

Fire to the west of Stuart:

1826NRidgeStuart_032x.jpg

Summit register:

1826NRidgeStuart_036xx.jpg

Gear Notes:

blue metolius

yellow metolius

0.5 camalot

0.75 camalot

1 camalot (x2)

2 camalot

#4 forged friend

about 6 nuts (mostly medium-large)

three medium hexes

10 slings

no crampons, no axes

60m 9.2mm rope (probably could have done it with a doubled over 7.5)

Times:

Woke at 3am

Left car at 3:30am

Base of ridge at 8:15am

Started climbing at 8:30am

Notch at ~noon

Summit at 3:30pm

Car at 8:15pm

Approach Notes:

We went in via Ingalls Lake, over Goat Pass, traversed to base of ridge, up route, down cascadian, then over Longs Pass. Water was available on the traverse from Goat Pass to the base of the route. No water until base of Cascadian Coulior.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The start of the OW is only ~12ft to the right of the top of the pillar. I clipped that fixed pin directly above the top of the pillar with a long sling, put one piece of gear in on the traverse with a long sling, and then I was in the OW. I moved our #4 Friend up with me until I could clip the fixed cam with a long sling then back cleaned the #4. Ropedrag wasn't a problem at all. I think clipping that pin was key as it kept the rope from running in the crack between the pillar and the face.

I did have some significant rope drag issues on a few of the simulclimbing pitches though. Bobbing and weaving around towers/blocks/etc = vicious ropedrag.

thumbs_up.gif

• 1 month later...