Hand Taping for Rock Climbing

scottgg

What is your advice on taping your wrists for rock climbing? I have seen people doing it, but whenever I try it my circulation gets cut off and I cant feel my fingers.

My wrists tend to ache while climbing near my limits, and it seems like tape might help this....any thoughts?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your circulation gets cut off, then perhaps you should tape a bit more loosely. Flex your hands when applying the tape.

I'm not sure about taping to avoid aching wrists. I think most people tape hands in rock climbing to avoid abrasion. Tape also seems to make most handjams more secure.

i'm not sure if you are a beginner or not, but i'll assume that you are...

If you are taping due to tendonitis (this would be your aching wrists) your best bet is to forego the tape and back off in either intensity, or frequency or both until the aching goes away. The taping will do absolutely squat for you...

This is not quite on topic, but there may be another question associated with taping your wrist.

When you make a fist, your wrist expands a little bit. My guess is that if you tape around your wrist with your hand held in a neutral position, you will reduce your power to the hand and fingers in some way.

When I had an elbow tear some years back, I would use a band of tape around my forearm just below the elbow to prevent fully firing the muscles that controlled my hand and attached just above the elbow.

When you put the wrist wrap on to hold your tape glove in place, pull enough tape off the roll to do the entire wrist, rather than unrolling as you go around. You can then better control tension and avoid over-tightening the tape band.

Here is an good link with pictures.

How to make a tape glove.

This method is superior to simply wrapping tape completely around the hand, because it keeps the palms bare for good feel of the rock, and because it allows one to remove the glove for later reuse. It takes a little longer to make is all.

Edited by catbirdseat

This method is superior to simply wrapping tape completely around the hand, because it keeps the palms bare for good feel of the rock, and because it allows one to remove the glove for later reuse. It takes a little longer to make is all.

CBS -

From my perspective this system is bulky, doesn't protect fingers and a reused 'glove' seems likely not to be very stable.

PP, I've been wondering about that. It always seems a bit of a nuisance to wind the tape around my hands, and I do think that even being careful to avoid taping in a manner that constricts the muscles I may still be doing to to some extent, but I have yet to adopt the gloves andI think a carefully applied tape job offers better coverage. By the way, CB, I don't think the tape on the palm of my hands has ever caused any problem, but the convenience of the tape gloves is certainly a worthy consideration.

CBS -

From my perspective this system is bulky, doesn't protect fingers and a reused 'glove' seems likely not to be very stable.

I don't consider it to be bulky. One can make them as thick or thin as desired.

Fingers are taped separately, as needed. Reused tape gloves are just as stable as new ones because you use a new piece of tape on the wrist each time.

a reused 'glove' seems likely not to be very stable.

I've reused tape gloves many times (once for ~8 days or so at Joshua tree) with good results.

That is a great link CBS. I remember trying to find a similar link a few months ago with no success.

tape is aid and less secure...period...

Bullshit. It is more secure and comfortable. That's why its aid (at least in the same way that sticky rubber is aid).

Well CBS, you don't even know if the guy is asking about taping to prevent wrist tendonitis (my interpretation) or if he is taping for crack climbing comfort/security (yours apparently). If the later, then your link pretty much sums things up. If the former, its still an open topic (though I agree with RUMR's advice). In either case, who gives a shit. This is an internet chat board meant primarily for entertainment (well it is for me anyway).

Spray on!

So here we have a fellow who asks for advice on how to tape his hands and we get one person who criticizes one method of taping he hasn't tried. We get another who criticizes taping at all. I'll give you a hint, you aren't helping. To each his own. The guy wants to tape. At least let him do it the right way.

CBS I have used a lot of tape over the years. Via a variety of techniques. Some quite similar if not identical to this one. I am just letting him know my preferences. I don't belive there is "one" right way to tape. If I asked the question I would be interested in a variety of opinions.

I don't give a shit. I'm not being uncivil to the guy; nor do I think anyone else thus far on this thread has been. He's getting his answers - as well as this motley crue can provide them anyway.

If he (or others) get flustered by coarse language or delivery styles; fuck em.

In response to Rudy, he's probably right about being more secure without tape, but it takes technique. Plus some cracks just plain hurt.

I've found that as my skill improves I tape less often. I'll generally tape when I am pushing my limits, but skip it on easier routes. So taping can be regarded as a "learning aid" if you will.