Return to Rainier

snug

In 2002 six of us eastcoasters went to Rainier and climbed with RMI. One of the group summitted, three made it to 12,600. Since then we have climbed Shasta, Whitney, and three 14er's in Colorado including Elbert. We want to return to Rainier next summer but do not want to climb with RMI. We would like to put our own 3 to 4 day climb together and find a guide that would work with our unique group of 50+ year olds and get us to the summit safely. What suggestions do you have regarding a guide or other leader who would work with our group. What routes would you suggest. Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We would like to put our own 3 to 4 day climb together and find a guide that would work with our unique group of 50+ year olds and get us to the summit safely.

This sounds suspiciously like, "We would like to take our own sweet time to have an 18-hour summit day (because I'll make it if I can go at my own pace) and pay someone to set up our tents, cook our meals, make all climbing decisions about conditions and weather, and take the blame when we still don't make it."

We would like to put our own 3 to 4 day climb together and find a guide that would work with our unique group of 50+ year olds and get us to the summit safely.

This sounds suspiciously like, "We would like to take our own sweet time to have an 18-hour summit day (because I'll make it if I can go at my own pace) and pay someone to set up our tents, cook our meals, make all climbing decisions about conditions and weather, and take the blame when we still don't make it."

Don't forget... "carry our gear for us."

snaf.gif

I agree with fender4 that you should be able to find a guide willing to go at a relatively leisurely pace, but I suggest you choose carefully. I would call a few guides BEFORE you hire one and explain what kind of trip you want. If it seems like they are really interested in understanding, they might worth considering. If they seem like they want you to do the trip on their normal timetable, that would be a red flag.

But you might want to make sure your group is clear whether your top priority is going your own pace or summitting, since those two things might not lead to the same decisions along the way. Hope you get the trip you want.

Wow harsh on the judgements there.

Maybe they're a bunch of fat cat investment bankers who used the word 'basecamp' when they walked up Whitney. Maybe they're telemarking dairy farmers from VT. Whatever. Sounds like they're willing to take the time, and make the effort it will take to get them there, and are probably wise enough not to let posters on this site raise their blood pressure.

Some of you are extremely judgmental. RMI is not the company for us because what they do is based in large part on the bus schedule. Yes, we want to be safe and at the same time savor and enjoy our experience on the mountain. The 36 hour experience with RMI was too hurried and based on a military model that we did not like and do not attempt to replicate. Perhaps we are looking for an experienced individual to join us and lead us in a private climb? We are in great shape but do not desire to compete with climbers 20 to 30 years younger. Snug

More power to ya, Snug. Unfortunately (and this is based totally on my personal experience) I am guessing that finding someone on here that is willing to help is unlikely (except with advice).

I got on here hoping to find a climbing partner or two that would be willing to share their rock experience, as I had none. I was very lucky to find someone that took me out to do some rapping practice and the like, and we've done a few technical summits since.

But, I think I am in the minority. I am not trying to start any shit, but it seems that most people on here are more into ridiculing newbs and telling them to go learn before they do anything (which is sometimes needed).

Anyway, I understand that most folks wanna hang out with others of the same skill level. But, imparting wisdom on those with less experience should not always take the form of "You're a puss" and "That's a stupid question."

Oops I PM'd Snug, anyway, I go up Rainier once a year or so and would tag along, lead, help, whatever you want to call it. I am not a guide and not talking about charging money although I would expect that we would all share expenses.

I would say Dynomite is in the minority for thinking there are not climbers willing to share knowledge/time. There just happen to be a large number of voiciferous a$$holes.

Anyway, PM me. I don't put too much energy into putting these things together because they usually fizzle. Show me some energy and I'll be ready to climb Rainier.

One bit of advice snuggles that may make your chance of summiting increase and your climb a bit more enjoyable. While not having ever climbed with a guide, I suspect one of their reasons for the "military" like approach to climbing (other than getting as many climbs in per season - more $$) is to get at the summit before bad weather comes in.

My advice is this: If you are planning a 3-4 day trip, don't just schedule your trip to allow for the 3-4 day climb. Leave yourself some extra time to 1) get over your travel lag; and 2) allow extra time for a few days of bad weather. It would suck to get here and not summit only because you got weathered off.

That said, I know a few folks that show up at base camp with a flask or extra beer. Great way to make new friends and find some new climbing partners. This is the true test on how big a wanker you may or may not be!

Good luck snuggles, climb safe!