PackOnMyBack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skier,

I have not been up there before.

I understand there is a gully at about 5300' that you want to be sure to hit.

There is a vague description in "75 Scrambles in WA" but I'm looking for better info on the upper part of the route. I'll pass along info after this weekend. Good luck.....

The Climber's Guide to the Olympic Mountains has good route descriptions. I've climbed Brothers twice, although not recently. The common mistake I see many make is failing to bear right a hundred feet below the summit.

Watch for falling rock from other climbing groups, especially near the hourglass.

This climb has some of the longest glissades in the Olympics!

Tom

Once you come up out of the camping area (there is a faint trail when snowfree) you come into a basin under a big slabby cliffy waterfall. This is Variation 2 (as in the book). Keep traversing left through a short but dense forest. 100 yards of forest and bam, you're right there at the base of the couloir.

Up high you can pretty easily scramble from the col at the top of the hourglass-couloir to the top.

Ditto on that glissade (esp. down the lower slope). It has to be about the most perfect angle for glissading: not too steep so that you get out of control, but plenty quick!

Here's an old trip report from when we did the "variabtion 2" route, which is a pretty nice scramble up to the "lunch counter". http://students.washington.edu/dbb/olympics/brothers.html

I did it in July, not much glissading except over some nasty looking snow bridges. Routefinding isn't that bad, especially with snow on the ground. The biggest problem was finding your campsite in between all the huge boulders!!

Definately keep to the right and you should be fine, and the snow should make it nice (unlike scree)

Have fun!

sean

Just did Ellinor on Thursday 4-11. You'll find more snow than usual and will have to walk about a mile and a half to get to the trailhead. Since we were doin Ellinor I can't tell you much else about Washington. Especially since we couldn't even see it from Ellinor due to total whiteout.

quote:

I've done the route once before and don't remember finding it very difficult except for one semi-steeper section close to the top, I remember a rock gully on the right side of the snowfield as you look up that we scrambled up, not a big deal though pretty straight forward. Have a good trip, and be safe, definately wear a helmet though, they don't call it the hourglass for nothing.