Mount Pershing in the Olympics

roboclimber

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to Pershing in May sometime. Pershing is the next valley over from Mount Washington. I have never climbed it. I just found the route last summer and am ready to stand on top. From the data I looked up it's a class 4 scramble maybe some easy class 5 near the top. I'm up for a free climb. It will probably be a long one day climb. If any one has ever been there the info will be greatly appreciated

OK The season is still early and things change. I'm moving the Pershing climb up one week to 4/13/02. My "Outdoor Emergency Care "class is on the 20th of April. Can't miss that. I'm getting the boots broke in and am running the hills to get ready. Arlen are you still up for this? My buddy Enduroman is in.

OK The season is still early and things change. I'm moving the Pershing climb up one week to 4/13/02. My "Outdoor Emergency Care "class is on the 20th of April. Can't miss that. I'm getting the boots broke in and am running the hills to get ready. Arlen are you still up for this? My buddy Enduroman is in.

quote:

Originally posted by roboclimber:
From the data I looked up it's a class 4 scramble maybe some easy class 5 near the top. I'm up for a free climb. It will probably be a long one day climb. If any one has ever been there the info will be greatly appreciated

Robo, Highly reccomended brushfest and loose rockathon with better views than from Mt. Washington. I've climbed Pershing twice from the Jefferson Lk road and the north and middle peaks from the Mildred lakes trail at the end of the Hamma Hamma R. road. The first time on the main/south peak we started out by following Jefferson creek until we had had enough slide alder and devils club, then we headed towards the east ridge route. The second time up we started out on the east ridge route and were soon following surveyors tape. This route is preferred and has probably been boot built into something worth following. I don't know where you got your info saying it is class 4 or low 5. We took a rope and long slings each time but the main summit is class 3. On another trip we climbed the two highest points of the north peak from the Mildred lks tr. and did encounter 4th class poss. 5th rock and there again long slings sufficed. After the north peaks we traversed over the top of the middle pk and then descended from the col between south(main)pk and middle peak to the Mildred lks tr. At that time, 1983, the middle peak had 6 ascents and the north peak 3. Hope you have passable roads getting there. It's definately a day climb if you do.

I have to apologize for posting the wrong climb date for Mount Pershing climb. The new date is 5/11/02. One week before the 22nd anniversary of the eruption of Mnt. St Helens. Lots of things are going on in my life. I got ski patrol medical training during the 5/18/02 time frame so I moved the climb up one weekend. Thanks go out to Kevin Page, one of the pioneers of this region for the good data on this area. Thanks, Kevin best data so far. I'll definitely give you a field report when I get back.

Roboclimber