Health Insurance

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Health insurance is aid.

I went for 3 years without.

Maybe you should get married? I bet OlympiaClimber would say "YES!"

I have no actual useful information and am just trying to get my spray legs back after my recent hiatus.

COBRA is pretty expensive in my exerience. Check out Lifewise of WA here. They have a catastrophic option that is pretty good, if you are worried about some sort of accident making you bankrupt and a HSA plan if you want to lower your taxable income. But since the deductibles are so high ($1-4k) you may be better off being "self insured" if it is a short period between jobs.

Actually i just want a plan that allows me to go to a chiropracter so I can go to Layton for a proctology exam.

I bet Layton would do that pro boner.

yellaf.gif

chelle - LifeWise is who offered me the $50 / month quote. So far that's the best. Self insured isn't a great option for me. I don't need any health care, I just need catastrophic in case I break something or something falls on my head or if I need a penis implant or something.

But since the deductibles are so high ($1-4k) you may be better off being "self insured" if it is a short period between jobs.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. Having had four open orthopedic surgeries in the last two years, I think you are always better off having insurance. Having to pay a $1400 deductable is peanuts if you are really messed up. If I didn't have health insurance, I'd be a quarter million in debt to Harborview right now. Just my $0.02. wave.gif

$50 a month really isn't all that bad. You can try Blue Cross/Blue shield, but I doubt they'll be able to beat the price.

$600/year for a multi-hundred-thousand dollar hedge against going bankrupt and/or being in debt for the rest of your life is a mighty good deal IMO.

Get the high deductable. In addition to covering you if something bad happens (i.e. spinal factures)...expensive, for day to day healthcare needs it will force a contractual write-off, which will save you 30-50% off the normal charge. the economics of healthcare are such that you simply need insurance, even if it is only catostrophic, or a Health savings account, etc.

Yeah, here's another vote for Lifewise, it's what I've got and provide for my entire company. I don't need bells and whistles, just some serious backup for the possibility of an "oh shit" moment, and that high deductible plan is just the ticket. Only $50? Damn, you're younger than I thought you were. yellaf.gif

$600/year for a multi-hundred-thousand dollar hedge against going bankrupt and/or being in debt for the rest of your life is a mighty good deal IMO.

Yes.

Don't forget that health insurance coverage earns you the negotiated rate for care even if the health insurer isn't paying. That's usually a fraction of the rate they charge the uninsured.

You probably will not find any better than that - even for a catastrophic plan. I get insurance off & on from my employer & frequently go through this, and COBRA coverage is generall $350-$400 / month. I have an insurance broker I have used who has been great about simplifying & getting me what I need for coverage. It is Harman Benefit Group & the number is 253-445-0110. Tell her you got the number from Wendy & she is great about getting things set up.