[TR] city of rocks 36 pitches 3.5 days

powderhound

No pics of the trip sry guys.

Just want to let everyone know that there are some great routes at Castle Rocks. Spent two days there and had a blast. The routes grades are a bit more modern then at the city of rocks. Climbed at the crack house there are some awesome moderate routes there, I think we did 5 pitches in like two hours. Go to the hostess gully and climb "between heaven and earth" one of the best 5.9's I have ever done. 200 feet of stellar patina pulling. “Shock & Awe” was fabulous and the “southern rock opera” is stout bring lots of yellow aliens.

The Dufree hot springs right as you come into Elmo are $5 and is open until 10pm on Friday and 11pmon Saturday. Fill your water bottle with your drink of choice and enjoy. bigdrink.gif

Some notes on The City

Columbia crack on the back side of elephant rock is open and is a super duper 5.7. Go to "The Gull" (right behind elephant) and climb the 5.8 great beginning lead route sorry forget the name. If you are looking fro some great climbs in the 5.10-5.11 range and wanting to get away from the crowds look at the building blocks.

Edited by powderhound

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree. Columbian crack didn't seem to warrant the 4 stars. Other climbs on the Elephant, and other 5.7 cracks in the city, were much more fun.

i was wondering if anyone who's been to city recently has had a chance to check out the pizza & beer at Rock City repairs. they were set to open at the beginning of this summer.

Sounds like a great trip!

Colombia Crack is a nasty flared groove and seemed more like a 1 star route to me. Compare that to a true 4 star crack at The City like Bloody Fingers.

dude that thing is sweet, it is not bad and flared it is great hands most of the way. It is not flared we soled that shit. wazzup.gif

Sounds like a great trip!

Colombia Crack is a nasty flared groove and seemed more like a 1 star route to me. Compare that to a true 4 star crack at The City like Bloody Fingers.

dude that thing is sweet, it is not bad and flared it is great hands most of the way. It is not flared we soled that shit. wazzup.gif

yelrotflmao.gifrolleyes.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The crack itself is shaped like a pig's water trough with a rounded bottom and the right side flares at about a 45 degree angle. That crack sucks! Here is a photo I took of a friend following it. As you can see the crack is exactly as I described it. Did you guys even climb it? hahaha.gif

195970.jpg

I hope my draws didn't get in your way

Thank god Colombian has been retrobolted. That 4th class section would be heinous if I had to place my #4 friend up there. Though the friend placement was bomber, I was supersketched and was happy to just Clip-N-Go!