[TR] Del Campo Peak- scramble 8/25/2006

off_the_hook

Climb: Del Campo Peak-scramble

Date of Climb: 8/25/2006

Trip Report:

I got a good workout on Del Campo, ascending in 1 hour and 55 minutes. I took a 45 minute break on top and then descended in 1 hour, 35 minutes (4 hour, 15 minute round trip). I've only hiked Dickerman on that section of the Mtn. Loop Hwy so it was nice to explore a new area and get around 4,500 feet of elevation gain in the process.

3820Tamar0011.JPG

3820Tamar0010.JPG

The trail up to Gothic Basin is quite steep, but in good condition. There is no snow left on route to the summit. From the basin, there was less Del Campo above than I thought there would be, but it's only 6,600 after all...

3820Tamar0012.JPG

The scramble was fun and the views were great. I relaxed and took some self-timer images. The biggest surprise was Foggy Lake, a larger lake than I imagined and beautifully neslted between Gothic Peak and Del Campo. No fog on the lake today, it shimmered in the sunlight and was very photogenic. On the way out I startled a cinammon black bear right in front of me but before I could whip the camera out it was thundering into the bushes. I didn't see anyone until well down the trail on the descent.

3820Tamar0009.JPG

3820Tamar0002.JPG

3820Tamar0008.JPG

3820Tamar0006.JPG

3820Tamar0007.JPG

3820Tamar0003.JPG

3820Tamar0005.JPG

3820Tamar0004.JPG

Gear Notes:

Bring yourself and some water.

Approach Notes:

Good to go.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that looks a lot different than when I was up there in early/mid July. I'm a bit surprised that the big snowfield on the way up to the scramble gully thingy melted out so much, but I guess that's what snow does in the summer...

We also didn't have those kinds of views; had lots of fog/clouds swirling around.

I saw a doe while coming down the trail that had several large, gaping wounds that had to be claw marks on her rump...I assumed a cougar...but I've never seen any signs of cats bigger than bobcats up there. Don't know if a bear would attack a full grown deer.

Gothic Basin is almost as cool as Glaicer Basin thumbs_up.gif