[TR] Tumwater Buttress- Groundhog Day 8/6/2005

cappellini

this crag is actually an old traditional practice area. all of the irresponsible bolting was done overtop the existing lines....and actually, the "real" start would be lower down on the slabs, closer to the road, above the d.silly tr....the entire butress is climbed easily without any of the retro bolt garbage (in fact all bolts are quite close to excellent gear placements)...the descent is a simple walk off, making absolutely no need for the ridiculous convenience anchors which also appeared in recent years. this buttress has been raped by unscrupulous crack bolters and hippocrits and all of this garbage should be removed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this crag is actually an old traditional practice area. all of the irresponsible bolting was done overtop the existing lines....and actually, the "real" start would be lower down on the slabs, closer to the road, above the d.silly tr....the entire butress is climbed easily without any of the retro bolt garbage (in fact all bolts are quite close to excellent gear placements)...the descent is a simple walk off, making absolutely no need for the ridiculous convenience anchors which also appeared in recent years. this buttress has been raped by unscrupulous crack bolters and hippocrits and all of this garbage should be removed.
Other than the anchors, about two or three bolts have been added, on the first pitch only, in places that are run out a bit (no, it wasn't me). Sure, 5.9 climber wouldn't be uncomfortable with the run out in those sections, but this is a good place for 5.7 climbers.

Second, the walk off sucks bad. It's sandy and nasty and all the traffic on the delicate soils is bad for the environment.

Edited by catbirdseat

I think there are two bolts at the beginning of the left side start but none on the regular right side start. I don't recall any other bolts on the route other than rappel stations. There is a separate rappel anchor at the top of the left side start that isn't really needed as there is another easily reached a bit higher where the right side 1st pitch ends.

The bolts on the left side do protect a section that is a bit runout at 5.7.

I agree that most of the junk placed on the route didn't need to be but it's there now and we still had fun. If it's removed someone will probably just replace it, then what?

That is the most retarted argument for bolting cracks I've ever heard. Just b/c its there doesn't make it right. There are so many unnecessary bolts around 11worth, its just too bad there are so many unscrupulous individuals that have no problem with installing them on rappel and so many sheep anesthatized by modern convenience culture that they've adopted attitudes such as the one displayed above.

someone will probably just replace it, then what?

To me the issue was always damage to the environment, ie bolting natural features like rock, so if bolts are removed, then new holes drilled and bolts replaced, the damage is doubled. It would be great if there was a way to regulate it better but there doesn't seem to be. So, if bolts are chopped on a popular route we probably end up with more replacement bolts, more damage.

Personally, I wouldn't have thought the left side start pitch was worth placing two bolts for when you can do the right side with natural pro. On the other hand it seems that exit 32/38 routes must have somewhere around 95% bolt protection and it sure has opened up a lot climbing that wouldn't otherwise exist.

saw off the bolts, if they grow back saw off the bolts, if they grow back saw off the bolts, if they grow back saw off the bolts....end of story

your arguments are hollow...crack bolting is a form of defilement analogous to rape...the rock is inocent and deserving of respect...heinous acts require a reaction no matter how inconvenient it may seem.

here is a graffic analogy for your enlightenment...if someone rapes a child should everyone who wants to rape children continue to rape that child? i mean, after all the damage has been done, just keep raping that child, cuz after all some sick f%%$@k is gonna have fun...why bother punishing the perpetrator and attempting to heal the mind of the victim...clearly this is wrong.....eventually the sickness would spread from child to child, or as we've seen locally from crag to crag...until our culture has been reduced to a vile selfindulgence, not just a hedonistic pursuit.

removing the defilement is the swiftest form of punishment we have for the perpetrators of crack bolting...prison and its associated abuses toward rapists would be more fitting, however we don't have that option...

there is never a justification for bolting over gear..a runout by definition is scary but not life threatening, and a skilled leader can easily protect those pitches within reason..runout yes, life threatening no...not every climb should be chiseled down to the lowest common denominator...go back to the gym or develope your skills appropriately before venturing outside..there is more to climbing than monkey tricks....

"one day the rain's gonna come and wash away all this filth" taxi driver

there is never a justification for bolting over gear..a runout by definition is scary but not life threatening, and a skilled leader can easily protect those pitches within reason..runout yes, life threatening no...not every climb should be chiseled down to the lowest common denominator...go back to the gym or develope your skills appropriately before venturing outside..there is more to climbing than monkey tricks....

You are getting all worked up over a beginner's route. Experienced climbers probably would not have trouble protecting those moves with gear, but how many experienced climbers even want to bother with the thing. It's a good route for new leaders to learn on.

YOU say it's a bolted crack. I don't think that is the case. There are no bolts within 10 ft of protectable cracks, if my memory serves me correctly. The bolts on the route to the left of Groundhog Day, protect against a groundfall.

This issue is much bigger than Groundhog Day, CBS.

I was wondering what you think of The Javelin. That's a bolted crack. Have you led that one on gear? Would you want to?

Yes I have. I found it more difficult leading it with gear, but not unsafe or unreasonable. Those bolts should be removed.

That is impressive. How did you do it, layback or straight in jamming or both?

I do get those climbs somewhat confused. Waverly Wafer is the 5.9 bolted flake, correct?

I remember it to be a super fun, straight forward but strenuous 5.9. The flake is clearly somewhat delicate and its easy to see how a fall on gear in the flake would be unsafe and may even destroy the flake. Strict purists may rue such bolt placements, but I thought in that case they were reasonable.

Perhaps another apt comparison is Perry's Layback on the Grand Wall. Obviously not delicate or lacking good gear, but you'd need about 6 #5's to protect it. hard to say from an ethical point of view, but I sure had fun climbing it.