Alpine Traverses

Fairweather

Here it is the middle of winter and I'm thinking about wide open, sub alpine meadows, glaciated peaks and remote basins. I've done a few off trail routes in The Olympic Mtns, but am looking at a few choices to in summer 2002.

Anyone climbed over Mt Christie, Dellabarre, and on to Muncaster Basin? How about The Valhallas? Skyline Trail? Queets Basin to Glacier Meadows?

I'd love to hear some Olympic XC stories.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done any of the trails you mention, but have been interested in high traverses in the Olympics, especially a point to point, such as up Enchanted Valley, maybe up Mt Anderson, then down Dosewallips. Another that could be done in a long day would be Dosewallips up to Constance Pass, over the saddle between Constance and Warrior Peak (I think that pass has no name), then over Crystal Pass into Avalanche Canyon, back down-- a nice loop with a fair amount of alpine travel. There are a few other crossings which would be fun and interesting, but which require two cars and a lot of driving.

I climbed Warrior back in early spring 1994. The view from this summit of Constance' north face is incredible. It was plastered with snow at the time and looked incredibly alpine. There is a fair sized glacier at its base that leads up to Crystal Pass. Inner Constance looks great from this vantage too.

I think you are right. This would be a great trip and I think it could be done in one long day if the temptation to climb any peaks could be resisted.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a few trips I've done that might interest you. Go up the N Fork Quinault R towards Low Divide. We climbed Mt. Christie, Seattle, Noyes, Meany and Queets then up the Elwa snow finger to Dodwell-Rixon Pass and Mt. Barnes. From here cross upper Queets Basin to the Humes glacier on Olympus. Traverse the East, Middle and West peaks, go down the Blue and out the Hoh. For a loop trip try circumnavigating the Goldie R. Start up the Elwha R. to just beyond the Elkhorn ranger station and cross the river at the Elwha Ford. You then go cross country south and cross the Goldie R. heading for Mt. Dana. From the top of Dana you've got days above treeline before you. Go over Mt. Wilder to Mt. Barnes then to Mt. Ferry with sidetrips up the Ragmuffin, Urchin and Waif and one day over to Stephen Peak. Then go over Ludden Peak and down the Long Ridge trail back to the Elwha. The first half of this trip had no signs of previous parties. Another loop I really enjoyed was starting up the Dungeness R. to climb Warrior (do the east side route) then from Constance Pass go west to Gunsight Notch/Pass between the Mystery's, climb those and then go down around the west and north sides of Mystery into a basin just south of Royal Basin. Cross over into Royal Basin and do whatever time allows and out. Enjoy.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info! Your Goldie River trip looks fantastic. I'm doing some research on that one. Have you ever traversed from Hayden Pass to Anderson Pass over Flypaper Pass? This is another trip I'm looking at for the summer of 2002. (this might soon be the easiest way up Mt Anderson with all of the proposed road closures and ONP's stalling on the High Bridge repair)

Not really an off trail route, but I'd like to take my son (12) on the Skyline Trail. Maybe include a climb of Christie, Seattle, Noyes, Kimta, etc from Low Divide. Are Martin Lakes as beautiful as described?

I've been through Deception Basin, but it was snow covered.

My brother and I did a one day trip to Upper Lena, then along the Stone Ponds Route to St Peters Gate and down to Lk of the Angels and then down via Putvin Trail. Traverse was mostly snow covered. 11 hours total.