Singulair

Singulair is a leukotriene inhibitor that is usually prescribed for asthma. A doctor friend told me it helps her with her sinus/ allergy problems. Since I have sinus problems brought on by allergy, I decided to try adding Singulair to the loratidine (Claritin) that I've been taking for some time.

Not only did the Singulair not help my sinus congestion, it made me hungry all the time. In less than a month, I gained 5 pounds. After having stopped taking the medicine a week ago, I've lost 2 pounds.

I did a search on the internet and found some anecdotal evidence that Singulair causes weight gain in some individuals, but this is not in any of the official information. I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else is taking the stuff, perhaps for asthma.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been taking singulair since March for Asthma and found it increased how well I breath each morning when I get up. Ive put on a few pounds, but never considered singulair as the problem, since I am on a zillion different steriods and I havent been as active since the asthma started. I guess I would rather deal with a few xtra pounds in exchange for breathing.

Singulair doesnt work for many people. Did it help with your allergies? I dont think it does much for me in that sense. Loratidine doesnt do crap for me. Im finding the zyrtec to be a god-send and hopefully keep me outta the hospital this fall!

The rep from Merck was trying to convince me to use Singulaire for allergic rhitis a few months ago and gave me some literature to prove it. It used some screwy statistical method that I have never heard of and the rep couln't explain. I got the numbers out of the paper and there was only a 3% absolute difference between placebo and drug and (with the help of my palmpilot) I calculated the number needed to treat was 65 to prevent 1 event. so, 64 pissed off patients that wasted money on the drug compared to the 1 who got better? The rep blushed and had no reply. I thanked him for lunch.