Sloan Peak 8/19-20

Dave_Schuldt

I haven’t done a hike all summer so I called Wolfie on Tuesday to see if he was up for one; he said to call MarkL and see if he was interested. Mark said maybe. He called Thursday, we’re going to Sloan Peak, cool I’ve never been there. We rolled out of town Saturday about 6 and after waiting for Wolfie to repack his pack about 3 times we were off about 9. We wasted some time trying to figure out where to cross the river, of corse it was at the most obvious spot. Once crossed the trail climbs out of the flood plain and is easy to fallow. The trail appears to be abandoned and has lots of blow down and brush. There’s flagging to help you through the vague spots. Once we broke out into the open it was a no brainer up to the bivy spot below the glacier. We got there around 3 and were kind of tired so we decided to go for the summit Sunday. We veged out, took pictures and ate dinner. The sky was hazy from fires and we could see the smoke from one east of Glacier Peak. We could see a group of Mounties camped way down in the trees, we had the better spot. We watched the sunset and turned in just before dark. Woke up a few times to stars and the Milky Way, just before dawn a sliver of new moon came up. Got up just after daylight, as we were getting ready to go 8 Mounties wandered by. We wandered up and noticed the Mounties getting on the glacier kind of low. We kept going up till we found some tracks from Saturday. We roped up and put our crampons on. Snow was good, with nice bridges. After crossing we ditched the rope and headed for the top. There’s a good trail that wraps around the mountain with some nice exposure. A few cool moves brought us to the top. Hung out there till the Mounties showed up. Shure enough, they had to turn back and walk up the rock and fallow our route across the glacier. Got back to our bivy about noon, packed up, hung out and started down about 2. Got down to Mountie camp as they were packing up. We kept going down the trail and didn’t see them. Turns out they had bushwhacked trough the scrub cedar and picked up the trail lower down. Yikes! Took some nice breaks at cool spots one of which had good blue and huckle berries. Had a nice dip in the river and got back to the cars about 8. The beer was still cold and Mounties were jealous ‘cause they had none. The 6,000 feet of elevation did a number on my quads, they’re still sore. Biking doesn’t prepare them for hiking.

Picture tomarow.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic