Any Activity Lately?

climberbro16

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went to a place called laclede near sandpoint, id last week and was pleased to onsight a devious old school 10c face climb, despite not having tied into a rope but once in the last 10 months. that made my weekend. this weekend, i flashed this tricky V3 boulder problem i've tried once or twice. was pretty happy about that too. huge deadpoint to a funky sloper, followed by some high stepping trickery.

unfortunately for me, no mountain adventures this last summer, just beer [big Drink] , bouldering and beaches!

I went to L-Worth on saturday and went up to Midnight rock. We started on the lowest tier and did the supposive 5.8+. The book says this is suppose to be one pitch up to dead end ledge but I don't see how this is possible. We did it in two. We then did WASP whick took us to the base of the most incredible crack I have seen in the state. ROTC. Straight in fingers to thin hands for almost the whole pictch. I thought cracks like this were only found in Yosemite or Squamish. The rock and the location were absolutely amazing. We topped out just as the sun was dipping below the valley and had a little rastafarian bivouc on top. An excellent day overall.

Saturday - did some hiking and smoking and skipped rocks on some subalpine lakes, and a little bit of bouldering. Unfortunately on the Chilliwack limestone crags at Slesse Creek it is fishing season and there are piles of fishermen's shit under all the pocketed limestone boulder traverses! Makes it bad news if you bail, more like soloing.

sunday - went to the CoOp and bought some BD Express screws since now is the only time all year they will have them in stock! Also looked at some Grivel 360s at CMS but the 75 dollar price tag did not seem motivating. The funky coffe grinder wire lever seems like it would be easy to bend or break while beating on the screw with a tool trying to remove it or clear ice. shocked.gif" border="0

Sunday: Climbed this awesome clearcut slope.

Cut.JPG

Actually, I got scared partway up, and didn't want to go any further. My partner continued a ways, but turned around once it got steeper. Said it would have been nice to have crampons and two axes, because the snow make the ground real slick.

Not to cold at all, the temps were perfect cool.gif" border="0

I don't think ROTC was 5.8+ is was more like 5.9-. Really though I though it was pretty tough for 11C. A sandbag like everything else at midnight. I haven't found an easy route there.

Supercrack is next weekend smile.gif" border="0

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Wallstein ]

• 1 month later...

Hey Dru,

I bought a grivel screw once, It was a few years ago so i don't know if they still are made this way, but man it sure looks cool and she went in fine, no worries. I saw my buddy fire it in and move on without a hitch. But upon my attempt to remove this bastardly unit i spent the better part of five minutes. That unit had this funky minutely groved machined finished on the out side, Goes in good but once it melts that thin water layer from the friction of screwing it in, and then sits there-------and then refreezes, holy sheet man! that thing was welded. This hapened several times until we started getting smarter than the screw. I don't know where that 50 dollar piece of shit is now but it probably looks good on someones shinny new rack. Smily's are the only way to go. the user friendly knob just saves your gloves, but then again real ice climbers don't wear gloves right.