Do you hate Focus On The Family?

Dave_Schuldt

Despite the rhetoric, if you took a look at the everyday actions, incomes, behavior, homes, net-worth - any concrete measure of how people actually live - you'd find very little real difference difference between those who consider themselves to be outside or alienated from the mainstream and those they despise. When you come right down to it, Ballard is every bit as middle-class and conventional Bellevue, despite pretensions to the contrary. They may check a different box come election time, but when you look at how they actually live - not much difference.

Well at some base level all humans are pretty much the same, it all depends on the gradation of the scale you are measuring, no?

And yes, I do agree with you that the subaru driving latte drinking thailand vacationing atheist is as valid a middleclass stereotype as the tahoe driving dietcoke drinking disneyland vacationing southern baptist. Thats as much a reflection on the absence of the new in our culture as anything else.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other differences.....My friends that live in circa 1910 homes in Ballard spend ~ 5K - 10K per year on things like new wiring, new roofs, new water pipes, siphoning up poo out of their basements when the clay sewer pipe collapses between their foundation and the main in the street....I spend my money on gear smile.gif

Your townhouse sounds lovely. Does it come with the plastic trees outside too or do you have to buy those seperate?

Seriously....you live in Peshastin, and your baggin on my digs? What's the chamber of commerce pushing out there...."Only 15 minutes from Wenatchee"

Or Issaquah: "Only 15 miles from downtown Seattle, but 3.5 hours during rush hour traffic." yellaf.gif

Yeah, dude you're right, ten acres on an old pear orchard up a beautiful canyon off Peshastin Creek is pretty lame. Its just so ugly out here. wave.gif

Just sounds like a lot of yardwork to me.....and a lot of running to catch those sheep - keeps you in shape for climbing I guess. There's a photo earlier in the post that you might enjoy in the event you aren't up for the round-up this evening.

Just sounds like a lot of yardwork to me.....and a lot of running to catch those sheep - keeps you in shape for climbing I guess. There's a photo earlier in the post that you might enjoy in the event you aren't up for the round-up this evening.

Besides the obvious fringe benefits of having the sheep around ( hahaha.gif ) being self sufficient is a much more rewarding way to live than being dependant on Mr. Safeway for all your sustenance.

However, the economy needs people like you to bolster the home retail and construction industry. And where would Wal-Mart be without folks like you? So keep up the good work!! thumbs_up.gif

FWIW I'd bet that a modern townhouse in Bellevue requires a way lower energy input per square foot than a SFH from the 1930's in Ballard.

Peshastin sounds great though. I'd could pretty easily live there or Ellensburg or Wenatchee and exploit the hell out of the wage-to-property-value differential living in those parts would provide us, but the other half just isn't going for it.

True Confessions....

FWIW - we looked at two houses in Ballard before we bought our townhouse, and they were 30% more expensive than our TH and being circa 1900's, we were worried that there could be major unanticipated expenses coming down the road. Truth-be-told, I'd live in Ballard if we could afford it. However, our deck looks over a wetland/bird sanctuary with Glacier and Baker visible in the distance and our development backs up to the Cougar Mountain Wilderness, there's about 500' of paved roads between our place and access to endless miles of of great running trails (Tiger Mountain etc.)

My wife and I lived in separate states for our entire dating relationship, so we decided we wanted to spend the weekend during our first couple years of marriage doing something other than working on the yard, or upgrading heinous floor/wall/counters coverings. No SUV's here.....We both drive Civics - she a 94 and I a 97.

As far as living in an older house, I have two friends whose basements filled with Poo in the last year....one in Greenlake, and one in Magnolia due to collapsed sewer lines....so choose your sword I guess - I don't like SUVs, or the lack of diversity that comes in the suburbs, but pretty happy about the fact that I've done nothing but change lightbulbs and a furnace filter over the last 2 years.

True Confessions....

FWIW - we looked at two houses in Ballard before we bought our townhouse, and they were 30% more expensive than our TH and being circa 1900's, we were worried that there could be major unanticipated expenses coming down the road. Truth-be-told, I'd live in Ballard if we could afford it. However, our deck looks over a wetland/bird sanctuary with Glacier and Baker visible in the distance and our development backs up to the Cougar Mountain Wilderness, there's about 500' of paved roads between our place and access to endless miles of of great running trails (Tiger Mountain etc.)

My wife and I lived in separate states for our entire dating relationship, so we decided we wanted to spend the weekend during our first couple years of marriage doing something other than working on the yard, or upgrading heinous floor/wall/counters coverings. No SUV's here.....We both drive Civics - she a 94 and I a 97.

As far as living in an older house, I have two friends whose basements filled with Poo in the last year....one in Greenlake, and one in Magnolia due to collapsed sewer lines....so choose your sword I guess - I don't like SUVs, or the lack of diversity that comes in the suburbs, but pretty happy about the fact that I've done nothing but change lightbulbs and a furnace filter over the last 2 years.

Damn - there's got to be some sort of a one-way valve that you can get put on your sewerline to keep the backflow out of your home, if nothing else. Cleaning up a basement that flooded with rainwater sucked enough, and took an eternity to clean - but sewage...

Oh man....to make matters worse, one of the guys was hosting a wake at his house when it happened....they finish up some light appetizers upstairs and tell all the guests to go downstairs to watch a video/slideshow he had put together about the deceased.....let's just say it's a good thing they ate before going downstairs