Do you hate Focus On The Family?

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you define middle class values please?

Good question.

I think it's something like this:

250px-Flock_of_sheep.jpg

Values commonly associated with the middle class include a desire for social respectability and material wealth and an emphasis on the family and education.

Critical to the success of North Star and a handful of other excellent inner-city charter schools the Thernstroms studied, they contend, is the teaching of traditional middle-class values, such as morals, manners, and responsibility, and strict rules requiring students to dress neatly, arrive on time, pay attention, be respectful, shun fighting and foul language, and finish their homework. In short, these schools "aim to transform the culture of their students—as it affects academic achievement," because "black culture ... has much to do with the racial gap in academic achievement."

So... homogeneity, conformity, a belief in the American Dream. Living in the suburbs, driving your SUV 10 blocks to the grocery store to stock up on processed foods, watching American Idol, etc....

What I always hated and detested and cursed above all things was this contentment, this healthiness and comfort, this carefully preserved optimism of the middle classes, this fat and prosperous brood of mediocrity. - Hermann Hesse

This miserable state is borne by the wretched souls of those who lived without disgrace and without praise. - Dante Alighieri

Gotcha.....and what exactly have you seen in my posts would lead you to believe I'm a conformist?

If I were a conformist, I'd limit my discussion on CC.com to poop, sex acts involving poop, vaginas (their juices, their uses), my junk, things I like to do with my junk, Mos_Chillin's lack of junk....etc.

Dude...you can attack my Townhouse all you want, but I haven't spent a weekend doing yardwork for 2.5 years

Do those townhomes come standard with middle class values, or is some assembly required?

yelrotflmao.gif

some assembly is required...you only get those when you do your third refinance

Just ordered $153 of garbage books for a total donation of $0.00. In 7-10 days I'll be having a nice campfire courtesy of those assholes. :-)

BTW, they dont verify phone or email for orders that don't charge anything, so I would recommend not giving them a real account for either.

Good find Dave!

Please note: Focus on the Family won't send you more than $100 worth of materials for free in any given shopping trip, so be sure to keep it reasonable and return often.

In multiple orders I assume?

I think I've placed 5 orders now. I doubt they'll actually send me anything, especially since news of this scam has spread around the internet, in addition to the fact that I chose "FocusFucker" as my account login name when I ordered stuff.

FOCUS ON THE FAMILY Request Number: XXXXXXX

ONLINE RESOURCE REQUEST Request Date: Aug 21, 2006

Online Donor ID: XXXXXXXX

Dear FocusFucker:

Thank you for your recent resource request completed on the date shown

above.

The following resources are included in this request, shipping to the

address(s) indicated:

========================================================================

Item Item Item

Suggested

Code Description Qty Donation

Donation

========================================================================

Shipping to: Focus Fucker, XXX XXth Avenue Ne, Seattle, WA, 98115

------------------------------------------------------------------------

AD072 The Chronicles of Narnia Radio Theatre 1 79.00

Complete Set

Total shipped to Mr. Focus Fucker: $

* Total for ALL Resources = $ 79.00 *

YOUR DONATION - Today I donated the following in support of the family

Your Total Donation.......... $ 0.00

If you have any questions about this request, please feel free to

contact us via email at family@custhelp.com or call us at

1-800-A-FAMILY.

When contacting us, please refer to this request by its confirmation

number of XXXXXXX.

Sincerely,

Focus on the Family

"...is the teaching of traditional middle-class values, such as morals, manners, and responsibility, and strict rules requiring students to dress neatly, arrive on time, pay attention, be respectful, shun fighting and foul language, and finish their homework.

i don't know how folks think these are middle class values. what self respecting suburban child doesn't swear, flock to a fight and dress like a slob.

what they're really saying is they're trying to implement a return to 1950s values.

"...is the teaching of traditional middle-class values, such as morals, manners, and responsibility, and strict rules requiring students to dress neatly, arrive on time, pay attention, be respectful, shun fighting and foul language, and finish their homework.

i don't know how folks think these are middle class values. what self respecting suburban child doesn't swear, flock to a fight and dress like a slob.

what they're really saying is they're trying to implement a return to 1950s values.

You mean like racism, wifebeating, witch hunts and stuff?

dru--that's exactly what i mean. we wouldn't want folks to have any sense of identity...especially not black culture. and sheesh, i'd probably a much better wife if i got a good beating from time to time....lord knows i've been hunted for being a witch more than once. maybe things are headed in the right direction.

On the contrary, I'd say that cost-free, pseudo-radicalism that's exercised in strict conformance with a predetermined set of norms has been a staple of the middle-class consciousness for the past couple of decades now.

Focus on the family fits that definition perfectly. So does Conservatism - it's no accident the Ronald Reagan library is in the definition of suburban hell - Simi Valley.

now wheres Mary-Louise Parker with my pot!

On the contrary, I'd say that cost-free, pseudo-radicalism that's exercised in strict conformance with a predetermined set of norms has been a staple of the middle-class consciousness for the past couple of decades now.

Focus on the family fits that definition perfectly. So does Conservatism - it's no accident the Ronald Reagan library is in the definition of suburban hell - Simi Valley.

now wheres Mary-Louise Parker with my pot!

Despite the rhetoric, if you took a look at the everyday actions, incomes, behavior, homes, net-worth - any concrete measure of how people actually live - you'd find very little real difference difference between those who consider themselves to be outside or alienated from the mainstream and those they despise. When you come right down to it, Ballard is every bit as middle-class and conventional Bellevue, despite pretensions to the contrary. They may check a different box come election time, but when you look at how they actually live - not much difference.

but ballardites recycle their cabernet bottles whereas Bellevue-ites throw their Starbucks frappacino cups in the trash.

rolleyes.gif

Actually, I agree with you JayB. There really isn't much difference between the two in terms of environmental footprint, e.g. action vs. words.

but ballardites recycle their cabernet bottles whereas Bellevue-ites throw their Starbucks frappacino cups in the trash.

rolleyes.gif

Actually, I agree with you JayB. There really isn't much difference.

that's why you live in freemont isn't it? wink.gif

There are other differences.....My friends that live in circa 1910 homes in Ballard spend ~ 5K - 10K per year on things like new wiring, new roofs, new water pipes, siphoning up poo out of their basements when the clay sewer pipe collapses between their foundation and the main in the street....I spend my money on gear smile.gif

Ah, The Minx has been misinformed as to the residential neighborhood The Fox chooses to call home.

The Fox would not like to live in Freemont. Not in a box. Not with socks. I would not live there said The Fox.

Ah, The Minx has been misinformed as to the residential neighborhood The Fox chooses to call home.

The Fox would not like to live in Freemont. Not in a box. Not with socks. I would not live there said The Fox.

yellaf.gif

i had no idea... i was just making wild unsubstantiated, completely unsupported statements as though they were fact. grin.gif