[TR] Emmons/Winthrop Aug 12 & 13

Bug

The ex had the girls and the girlfriend was in AK. Kenp sold me his Rainier climbing pass so I had no excuses left. I got off the couch and into the car with all the aluminum I could gather. My fat ass wasn't hauling much steel anywhere. I hiked up Mt Ruth for something different and was glad I did. It added a little more up and down but it got me away from the crowds. Up and over Steamboat prow and down into camp about 1pm. Steamboat has some nice looking routes on it. You could protect it with fence posts and 30 ft runners easily. Keep your belayer under an overhang.

At camp I slept and hydrated for a few hours and then started socializing. I had to find a twosome to hook up with and with my beergut I had to work fast so I didn't have to hold it in so long. No one wants to get dragged into a crevass by John Candy. There was a couple from Denver that took the line about how I used climb a lot. They put me in the lead as a bridge tester and only screwed their locking biners halfway. We got up at midnight after listening to Russian banter all evening. By 12:30 we were slogging. The 3/4 moon was out so we didn't need headlamps and an occasional meteor streaked by to keep us from getting lost in our navels. We passed a few partied here and there and ended up on the summit about 6:30. We wanted to get down before it warmed up much because I still hadn't lost much weight. There was a little balling on the crampons for the bottom 2000 ft but we only pass one bridge that caved in after we passed on the way up. It was a nice weekend. I didn't get many pics because my batteries froze. Besides, with my orange jacket I looked like a pumpkin.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic