Mazama Glacier Route on Adams -- worth it this late?

goatboy

I'm curious if anyone can speak to the conditions on the Mazama Glacier this time of year, and if it is a reasonable and enjoyable -- ahem -- objective this late in the summer.

Hey! It's not officially autumn for a few more days, eh?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info -- or especially any recent digital images showing conditions.

Also, is it feasibly to camp at Sunrise Camp and climb the Mazama Glacier to where it intersects the regular route, then drop packs and summit, returning to get packs and descend the standard route? I'm hoping to expedite the descent rather than returning to Sunrise Camp. I know this sounds like a lot of work . . .

Thanks -- I've never been on this particular mountain so I appreciate any wisdom from those who are more familiar with it than I am.

Steve

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A duel between goats? Okay . . .

Seems like there ARE too many goat boys out there . . .

But as has been mentioned, I was the first and original one on cc choosing that ridiculous and ultimately meaningless member name.

Soooooo, to all the other goat boys out there, go think up your own dumb names and I'll just keep my original dumb name to myself.

OR, maybe we could have our own feeding trough at the fall rope-up where all the goat-oriented members can jostle for scraps of sausage and lukewarm beer from Gustavs?

Are we done dueling yet?

Goatboy, member 294

"I've been stupid a lot longer than you have!" [Razz]

goatboy: I have done Mazama Glacier although much earlier in the year. But, a carryover should be no problem. The route is pretty easy and the views of the Klickitat are incredible. As long as nobody steals your packs while your summiting everything should go smooth.

Have fun.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all, thanks for all the info and thanks for asking, Craig, if I went.

The answer . . . . NO. I didn't.

I'd like to, though.

Ended up taking advantage of the beautiful weather that weekend afforded and going up to attempt Forbidden E Ridge . . . though got there too late to get a permit. Sadness.

Had a glorious consolation prize: A hike up the Sahale Arm with my lovely climbing partner and girlfriend, and a nice climb of Sahale, Thai noodles at our high camp, and a great sunset. I love that place.

Still hope to swing it on Adams . . . I heard a rumor that it's not going anywhere too soon.

Thanks to all for the info, I'm sure I'll ask for more soon.

Steve [Cool]