High Gas Prices = More Bike Commuters?

JayB

I heard that regular bike commuters in some cities are noticing more folks riding into work these days? Anyone out there seen any evidence of that?

Can't say I've seen any uptick in Boston, but most people here that ride into work seem to do so to avoid the traffic megacluster, or because parking costs run into the thousands per year, or because they hate trying to manage their lives around the public transport schedule. I've never heard anyone mention the price of gas.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see how many folks trying to save gas money stick it out once the dark/cold/rainy months arrive.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that regular bike commuters in some cities are noticing more folks riding into work these days? Anyone out there seen any evidence of that?

Can't say I've seen any uptick in Boston, but most people here that ride into work seem to do so to avoid the traffic megacluster, or because parking costs run into the thousands per year, or because they hate trying to manage their lives around the public transport schedule. I've never heard anyone mention the price of gas.

In any event, it'll be interesting to see how many folks trying to save gas money stick it out once the dark/cold/rainy months arrive.

I've definately seen a sharp increase in retrometrosexual single speed riders trying to break the norm......... by curiously being the same?

I'd say there is some increase in Seattle-land via observations on the Dexter bike lane superhighway.

The increase could also be as a result of more chat in town about biking to work (articles, water cooler chats, yadda yadda). People hear from others riding their bikes who lie about how great it is to get out there and then they start riding, then once they realize the truth, they lie to others too cause they spent way too much dough on the gear to stop. Kind of like Amway.

I ride for the chicks mainly - nothing says cool like neon and spandex.

I do it for my health, and to avoid the road-rage associated with driving. I call it about an even swap financially.

I only started bike-commuting 3 months ago when I moved close enough to work to do so.

Having to ride in a bus sucks, period, IMO. Maybe the least of many evils in some cases, but I'd much rather ride through horrible weather and risk getting doorprized, etc than take the bus. That's especially true out here.

Having to ride in a bus sucks, period, IMO. Maybe the least of many evils in some cases, but I'd much rather ride through horrible weather and risk getting doorprized, etc than take the bus. That's especially true out here.

True dat. Taking the bus sucks. Interesting cultural experience every now and then though.

The ST 545 from Redmond to Seattle isn't so bad, but I've seen a bit of an uptick in riders. They changed the schedule recently though so some of that may be migration from earlier/later rides. Also, one has to discount the early riders in the week who seem to be mainly jury duty types. I get on early enough to get a good seat and I get a lot of reading done on the bus. I admit, I *have* thought about a motorcycle though.

True dat. Taking the bus sucks. Interesting cultural experience every now and then though.

In my experience, most of these are better enjoyed through listening to a first-hand account rather than in-person.

I generally don't mind it too much, but some days it sucks for sure. The 358 is sure convenient (less 2 minutes walk from home and work) but the ridership certainly leaves a bit to be desired--not sure which was worse last week, the gentleman who sat down next to me reeking of alcohol mad.gif but otherwise kept to himself, or the two guys talking about their impending drug deals shocked.gif.

JayB--I never found the buses in Boston too bad, but then I was only ever on them between Arlington and Alewife/Porter/Harvard, so that may not be very representative of the bus system as a whole.

We live pretty close to the Roxbury/Dorchester/Mattapan Trifecta of Doom, so the ridership issues are definately a factor.

Heading North and crossing the Charles for an interview at one of the outfits over there was like crossing into another dimension. Quiet, peaceful, delightfully free of random public hostility....and relatively bike friendly for these parts.

It's not that bad. Good time to catch up on reading.

agreed.

i don:t think gas prices will keep people from driving after the sticker shock wears off though. all the cities I have been to recently are packed with drivers even though cars are prohibitively expensive and gas is astronomical. \americans will adjust the same way everyone else has.