South Spur on Adams - 1st time - any advice?

Spud

The mountaineering potato is returning to the Cascades this weekend - this time to spend some time on Mount Adams. This is my first time on Adams, and I'm planning the South Spur...any advice out there as to what to look out for? what to expect? Is it practical to tent it at the lunch counter or make the mad push and descent in one day?

Your wisdom is relished...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect people. Lots of people. Can be done in one push (7K?), but the camp at Lunch Counter can be really beautiful in the right conditions so I'd recomend it if you have the time. This time of year there's lots of rock so you could probably get by sans spikes and axe. Have fun.

Was up there last weekend and make it to the top in 5hr 48min. You don't need crampons unless you want to get on the snow. It is possible to get the summit sloshing up scree only. The only snow you will have to cross is at the saddle between the False summit and the actual peak, but it is flat. The cabin at top is almost completely out but still filled with snow inside. Easily done in a day. There was a 69 year old guy up there and plenty of people in tennis shoes at the top. Have fun. NOTE: I will never go up Adams that late in the season again. [MR T]

yeah we were up there last weekend too. we made camp about 8,000ft, no crowds there, plenty of water from run off streams as well. last water is at lunch counter. trail is good but crap. if there is snow anywhere it would probably be a nicer climb, but the trail up is nice. a few peeps. we didn't summit due to the lovely weather that socked in, but when i go back - i'm camping at cold springs and just getting up early to make a run for the summit. seems so much easier that way. [Cool]

Spud -

In my view, you can climb the South Spur just as easily in one day or two. The reason I say this is that it is not an unreasonable day-trip as has been pointed out by several of the posts above. Although some have indicated that it is a "major" day trip, I am not sure what they are comparing it to -- it is certainly more than a casual hike and it involves something like 7,000 feet of altitude gain, but it is all very straight-forward and I have seen old guys and teenagers and everybody in-between do it as a day-trip and it is really not all that bad. The one-day itinerary will allow you to carry a much smaller pack and it will also simplify the trip in that you will not be taking your chances with so much time above timberline where the mountain weather and winds can make life very uncomfortable. And I agree that the lunch counter is a mess because so many people camp (crapping and dumping their garbage) there – I think the rangers actually try to discourage camping there because of this situation. Personally, I'd make it a day trip - but you might enjoy a sunset if you camped at the lunch counter and the weather was clear and calm that night. Alternatively, a camp down near timberline could be a good compromise and it would be more comfortable should the weather crap out.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

... Drive in there real early because last time I was there the road was pretty holed up and 4WD could be useful, and the damn drive was longer than the climb from North Bend anyways.

Not anymore. Your tax $$$ at work. Freakin' thing is like a freeway. The first 10 miles are more rutted than the last 5.

I also recommend doin' it in a day. Much more fun than slogging in w/ a big 'ol pack.

[ 09-06-2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: jaee ]

Hey Spud!

We looked for you. We (friends and I) did it in a day Saturday, and it wasent too bad, other than late season means stumbling through scree for a lot of the day. Come to think of it I have never done this route in more than one day, and yes that old rutted road is way better now. A note for others going down from Seattle: The road 23 will be closed starting Monday the 9th until I think the 23rd or so out of Randle to Trout Lake, making for a longer drive.

PS it is snowing in the cascades, viva schnee. [Wazzup]