[TR] Sawtooth Smackdown 8/6/2006

John Frieh

Climb: Elephant Perch - Various

Date of Climb: 8/6/2006

Trip Report:

Stewart Harbalski (Brock), castlecrag (Ron Kirby), pdk (Donnie) and myself made our annual pilgrimage to the sawtooths this past weekend. Donnie had never been to the sawtooths or climbed with us... little did he know what he (or his snugtop.gif) was in for yellaf.gifhahaha.gifpitty.gif

We blasted out of PDX Thursday around 9 pm...

4479welcometoID.JPG

Donnie's car hit 100k...

4479100k.JPG

A half dozen red bulls, vile vile gas station coffee and a whole lot of hip hop rockband.gif landed us in Stanley, ID around 7 am. We hit the Stanley Baking Company for breakfast and more coffee:

4479SBC.JPG

Mmmm... liquid breakfast:

44792_liquidbreakfast.JPG

Following a packing session/yard sale at the lake...

44791_yard_sale.JPG

we embarked on the grueling, soul crushing approach:

44794_this_approach_is_killin_me.jpg

It was on this very approach a year ago that Kirby proposed to his girl Cristina... they are getting married next month! rockband.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif After much heckling we managed to get Kirby and Brock to reenact this special moment hahaha.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif:

44795_willyou.JPG

I kid only because Kirby is one of those lucky guys who found a kick ass girl (that climbs no less!)... lucky guy! Congrats to both of you!

Word of advice for the rest of you single turds: similar to what Kirby did propose to your future wife at your favorite climbing area... then you can say something like "Hey Honey... wouldn't it be romantic to go visit (insert location you proposed at here)? And hey... maybe we can do some climbing while we are there...?" You can thank me later yellaf.gifwave.gif

After a painful 2 hour hike we arrived at our destination... the elephant's perch:

4479sfaceinshade.JPG

Supposedly this feature looks like an elephant hence the name... Honestly I can't see it... maybe I need some assistance... mushsmile.gif Regardless of what it looks like this particular granite feature has 27 technical routes on it... average length somewhere around 8 pitches... basically a lot of grade IIIs and IVs.

After dumping our kits at the lake we headed off to climb the mtneers route. You can see a guy on it here:

44796_tripleroofguy.JPG

I could go on and on about the mtneers route but instead I'll just post some photos and let you decide. I will say the mtneers route is a good representation of what the perch (as well as the sawtooths in general) has to offer...

44797_handplacement.jpg

44798_1_twin_cracks.jpg

44799_dyno.jpg

44799_1_underthediamond.JPG

447910_brockdiamond.JPG

They call him... Stuart Harbalski!!! yellaf.gif

447911_brockballz.JPG

What the hell did I get myself into?

447912_spankme.JPG

447913_donnie.jpg

i heart idaho

447914_iheartidaho.jpg

447915_placement.jpg

Crap! I dropped my keys!!!

447917_dropped_my_keys.jpg

After the mtneers route we returned to camp a few hours shy of when we had left PDX the day prior... amazing what you can do in 24 hours huh! Kirb is a fly fishing pro and caught 3 fish before Brock decided to wade and scared them all off...

447918_roncast.JPG

447919_cheezy.JPG

Thanks to Kirb we had fish burritos for dinner + some bigdrink.gif and Cheezy Poofs we hiked in. The bigdrink.gif was an especially great idea after driving all night and then hiking and climbing all day... no one was seriously injured yellaf.gifblush.gif

On Saturday we climbed Astro Elephant.

4479AE_p2_pic_0.jpg

4479AE_p2_pic_1.jpg

4479AE_p2_pic_2.jpg

Duct tape Mohawk helps you send!

4479AE_p2_pic_3.jpg

Kirb on pitch 7:

4479AE_P7_edit.jpg

Near the top (you can see the lakes we camped by):

4479kirbylake.jpg

4479donnieneartop.jpg

Another fine day!

After 3 days of excess gas, bad jokes, whining and me rapping on lead (Got some dirt on my shoulder, could you brush it off for me?) Donnie needed a break so he hung out at the camp on Sunday. Kirb, Brock and I strolled off to climb the tusk... one of the many granite features located close to the EP:

4479tusk_edit.jpg

Kirb on pitch 1:

4479kirb_p1.jpg

moon.gif shot of me leading the final pitch

4479wide.jpg

As we were especially speedy on route we returned with enough time to hike out and catch the boat back out (the boat only comes at scheduled times). On the hike we ran into a pair of cougars (if you know what I mean wink.gif) which stalked us all the way back to Stanley. Sorry no pics as if you didn't know taking a cougars picture only further encourages them to hunt you. yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifpitty.gif

At the Redfish Lake Lodge (where you catch the boat) they were having an outdoor concert thing complete with a bigdrink.gif garden:

4479postbeer.JPG

Related to this the Redfish Lake Lodge is hosting free live music every Sunday for the next few weeks... On August 20th Josh Ritter is playing!!! rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

I honestly can't think of a more perfect trip... drive out Friday night or Saturday... climb the finger of fate Sunday, grab a 10 minute shower at the lodge for a dollar and then enjoy bigdrink.gifs and Josh Ritter Sunday evening and then drive home Monday. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Roadtrip anyone?

Speaking of... MD and I am headed back to the Sawtooths Aug 12th - 15th. If you are interested in snugtop.gifpooling give me a shout. BYOP (partner) as we aren't looking for a third.

But I digress.... We headed into Stanley for pizza and more bigdrink.gif at Papa Brunee's

4479pizza.JPG

There is another pizza joint in Stanley but Brunee's is the best cheeburga_ron.gif in town! After pizza we pointed the car west and got back into PDX around 5 am Monday... just in time to go to work! cantfocus.gifpitty.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifthumbs_down.gif

If I haven't convinced you the Sawtooths is worth the drive here are a select few pics... then again 10 hours is a long time to be away from cc.com and the Beckey route at WA pass is granite also so why would anyone even bother to drive to Idaho??? rolleyes.gif

4479EPsunset.jpg

4479reflections.jpg

This particular granite feature which is conveniently located 2 hours from the boat dock has 2 15 pitch grade IV 5.9 climbs on it... I guess you could always climb Beckey on Lib Bell 5 times in a row rolleyes.gifhahaha.gifyellaf.gifwazzup.gif:

44794horseman.JPG

Gear Notes:

bigdrink.gif, Cheezy Poofs, Fly Rod, Red Bull, Great Partners

Approach Notes/Beta:

- From Redfish Lake:

44793_boat.JPG

Driving Beta:

- As most of you would be coming from the east fyi Mapquest/Google Maps/Etc will try to send you over on 84 and up on ID-21. Though this works it is way faster to take ID-55 out of Meridian north to Banks, ID (don't miss the turn tongue.gif) and then east on ID-24 (ID-44 on some maps) to Lowman, ID and get on ID-21 here. As you will likely be driving this at night it is worth mentioning there are lots and lots and lots of deer on all of those especially at night! It would suck to drive 8 hours just to hit a deer!

- Gas is currently 3.50ish/gal in Stanley and 3/gal in Meridian.

What else? If only I had a reason to move to Idaho... cry.giffrown.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's some nice technical clothing guys!

And props on the green shirts. I know how it feels not to get the dress code memo. For instance: Marcus shows up for our climb in a cool red bandana across his brow. He didn't tell me we were going to be wearing bandanas!

So, I just don't get why anyone would ever drive all the way to Idaho when we have rocks here in Washington State.

Yeah I know what you meanwhy eat brie, rouqufort, gruyere, and goat cheese when there is american cheese everywhere.

I like american cheese.