Travis Pastrana Double Backflip

JayB

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely an interesting take on the video. To my eyes it looked like something that took tons of skill and serious heuvos to pull off.

I doubt that there are many people who happen to participate in both climbing and Moto-X, but it'd be interesting to get their take on how the risks in each sport affect them.

For me, risks that involve making a truly irreversible commitment - like hitting the lip on a larger jump or drop when skiing, or heading into a rapid at the top end of my ability when kayaking - make me way nervous than the incremental and largely reversible risks constitute the majority of the dangers that I expose myself to when climbing. Maybe these guys are wired differently.

Sure it is crazy, but the logistics of it make it pretty lame IMO. Seeing him do the same thing off natural sand dune would be infinitely more impressive.

Regarding your assesment of reversible vs irreversible commitment, they definitely create different levels of nervousness, however I personally feel more nervous climbing vs dropping cliffs in the snow, largely because the fear is so much more sustained

Seeing how he's probably done it dozens of times in practice, the whole running around freaking about it act was most certainly for the (TV) audience's benefit...

"...then after you land, your going to throw your bike down, and then run up to the top of one of the jumps for a pose. Got it? Good boy, now here's your thousand bucks."

The comment about practice in foam pits is more a comment on the direction motoX has gone since it started going mainstream. It seems these guys used to go out and seriously push it in old crusty demons videos. Now it is all so choreographed, that for me at least, it has lost any allure.

This particular stunt, with the custom ramp, seems a lot more befitting of an evil kneivel style exhibition than any sort of competition.

I predict the level of exposure currently witnessed in FMX will be relatively short lived and the sport will soon go the way of many other 1 dimensional "extreme sports".

I predict the level of exposure currently witnessed in FMX will be relatively short lived and the sport will soon go the way of many other 1 dimensional "extreme sports".

I'd like someone to plot XGames events vs. media coverage on a yearly basis. Curious what rockclimbing earned in it's short day in the sun.

Seeing how he's probably done it dozens of times in practice, the whole running around freaking about it act was most certainly for the (TV) audience's benefit...

"...then after you land, your going to throw your bike down, and then run up to the top of one of the jumps for a pose. Got it? Good boy, now here's your thousand bucks."

I've seen quite a bit of celebrating in the Olympics on the part of competitors who nail stuff in comps that they've been working on forever in practice sessions.

I've seen quite a bit of celebrating in the Olympics on the part of competitors who nail stuff in comps that they've been working on forever in practice sessions.

And in many of the "extreme" events it's just as forced. A media spectacle filled with hype and "human intrest"

But still uber-gay. He practices it 100s of times into a foam pit, then has event organizers build a special ramp just for him so he can get a guaranteed win. These guys might as well put on unitards and start practicing their ice dancing. This is a stunt, nothing more.

I don't think it is much different than those guys who work a route on top rope so that they can get a hard solo in. Still pretty damn impressive, since whne they do pull it off there isn't any foam just a lot of air time and dirt.

But still uber-gay. He practices it 100s of times into a foam pit, then has event organizers build a special ramp just for him so he can get a guaranteed win. These guys might as well put on unitards and start practicing their ice dancing. This is a stunt, nothing more.

I don't think it is much different than those guys who work a route on top rope so that they can get a hard solo in. Still pretty damn impressive, since whne they do pull it off there isn't any foam just a lot of air time and dirt.

THANK YOU KEN!

Stupid human trix rule!