[TR] Mt washington and 3 finger jack in a weekend- N. Ridge Washington, S. Ridge 3FJ 8/6/2006

Climb: Mt washington and 3 finger jack in a weekend-N. Ridge Washington, S. Ridge 3FJ

Date of Climb: 8/6/2006

Trip Report:

Logan, myself, and a new climber I met at OSU headed out to the big lake TH friday night to get an early start on washington. the hike in was fast and we made it to the N ridge notch at about 10:30, just ahead of a group of 5 Mazamas. I led the 3 pitches, as I had followed them before. We made it to the top in fine fashion and chatted with the mazamas once they got up there. The strangest thing about the summit that day was the amount of flying and crawling insects. There were flies and flying ants EVERYWHERE. eating became a chore of watching constantly to make sure nothing flew into the trail mix bag. We were able to prussic down the top pitch on the mazama's fixed line and then rapped the last two (I wasn't comfortable with downclimbing some of that stuff unprotected). Trundled some huge stones on the scree slope and got one to jump into the air about 20-30 feet. Sweet.

Three finger Jack was a longer hike in but more interesting. Hiking through the burn was really neat. The climbing was very steep scree with solid rock interspersed. We also roped up the whole time after the crawl and simulclimbed the traverse slinging chicken heads mostly. A steep two pitch in a natural chimney on poor rock leads to a knife edge summit that had orange monarchs(?) swarming around. One of the climbers I was with is a geology major and he was having the time of his life inspecting all the rock and layers as we climbed. There is even Smith Rock tuff up there!

The hike out turned shitty when I stopped to retrieve a water cache and found that someone had stolen my nalgene. Bastards!

Gear Notes:

Washington; red camalot (key for 1st pitch), nuts, hexes.

3FJ; lots of big slings for chickeneads, hexes, and large nuts for the summit pitches.

Edited by 111

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear it went well, 111. From Lil Bro, we couldn't see the fire, but the road was closed right before Dee Wright. Washington, 3FJ, and Jeff looked smoky (as you can see in the pic). We could just make out Hood.

593299-SmokyMountains.jpg.94f94857049db7d12637c83884ffb807.jpg

Edited by dinomyte

Sorry about that,

I have not posted many pics

The fire is burning in the basin to the East of Mt. Washington and on Sat. was burining up slope toward the mountain for most of the day. The winds were taking the smoke to the South West and the summit was obsured for most of the day. Personnaly I would not want to be inhailing smoke on route all day, especially since there are many other fine climbs around.

The fire guys were bombing the crap out of the fire and provide great entertainment.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=20485&size=big&sort=1&cat=512

• 2 weeks later...