[TR] Pernod Spire- Indirect West Face 8/4/2006

DirtyHarry

My book club read this whole TR from cover to cover.

Here's some discussion questions for your bookclub:

1. The author begins and ends the TR by resisting being "sivilized." What do you think the author means by this? What does he do to resist being "sivilized?"

2. Did you ever fantasize about running away? What did you hope to accomplish?

3. Describe the relationship between Dan and Rolf. Does their relationship change over time? In what way?

4. What is the role of the Mississippi River in this book?

5. What did freedom mean to the author? What did it mean to Dan? what does it mean to you?

6. Rolf's sound heart and deformed conscience came into conflict in this TR. Describe one situation and tell how the author resolves the conflict. Remember a situation where your heart and conscience have experienced conflict. Were you able to resolve it in a way that brought you peace?

7. The author used dialect to portray characters realistically and to enhance mood. What effect does dialect have on you as you read?

8. Compare and contrast society in the author's time to today's society. Does time change the "message" of the TR?

9. Ernest Hemingway has said that all modern American literature comes from this TR What features make this stpry modern? What features make this TR American?

10. What makes this TR a controversial and banned TR? What makes the story important and popular in today's world?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonus question for bwrts, what do you think the author meant by the following:

Heading toward the summit tower we realized we'd have to rap down towards the gully then climb the final pitch of the Bale Nelson route if we wanted to summit, as Ross and Tony had done on their route. As it was 7:30 and we were running out of light we made two rappels into the gully and headed down.

My review: thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

hey the words were all blended together in the photos....and like the LSD would not let me focus...so question for you...do you all really think I did or did not know the answer already but instead created this little idea that I don't read between the lines.

btw: Flowmotion summer Meltdown 2006 in Darrington kicked fuking ass....Flowmotion, critters buggin trio, kj sawka, march 4th marching band, zilla, vince herman, bshorty....and more music that rocked plus 40 acres of woods to go fear and loathing dtown style in and lots of fun shiney happy lovey people....plus one special girl from Vancouver, BC. cantfocus.gif

• 2 weeks later...

yea!!!...only we can talk s^&**t about kevin...ron however feels he can talk s@#$t about us...so ben why don't you fuck off ron...since obviously kevin doesn't let either of you f%^&*k him off anymore...and i'll just jerk off ron's crappy crackbolt jobs in the icicle when i find the time (or need hangers)....