Hello from Cambodia

archenemy

I posted from thailand right before leaving, so it might seem like i am moving light speed, but i'm not.

cambodia is incredible; but today I saw the Killing Fields where Pol Pot murdered so many people only a few years ago. i don't know how familiar ya'll are with recent cambodian history, but i read about this genocide and wanted to see where it happened. i cried.

besides that though, the temples are phenomenol. i can't believe the incredible beauty in each of them, and how they all affect me. It is strange that they look the same from afar; like a pile of rocks. but when you get up close, their detail and intricate architecture becomes visible. Amazing.

between Thailand and Cambodia, I would choose Cambodia. The people are desperately poor, but also serene and gentle. I am looking forward to Viet Nam. Í'll write ya'll from there...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

today i took a river boat up a canal where migrant Cambodians and Viet Namese live. they travel with the level of the river, which changes twice a year. right now, they are in their small wood huts on the water. they are just beginning to travel back to the hill that they live on during the height of the rainy season. they actually pick up their whole hut, put it on the back of a flatbed and drive up the hill with it. they move their boats by attaching them to the back end of a tractor and toodle on up the hill.

the water was "milky'(their description) or ""filthy"(my description). everyone bathes, washes dishes, and pees in the water from the canals/lake. they drink from the water that comes from a well that was put in by ANK; a company funded by travel agencies. Yummy.

the weather is still hot, but I am getting used to it and can actually spend time out in the sun now. I may not look like a Seattlite when I return...

today i took a river boat up a canal where migrant Cambodians and Viet Namese live. they travel with the level of the river, which changes twice a year. right now, they are in their small wood huts on the water. they are just beginning to travel back to the hill that they live on during the height of the rainy season. they actually pick up their whole hut, put it on the back of a flatbed and drive up the hill with it. they move their boats by attaching them to the back end of a tractor and toodle on up the hill.

Sounds like the Sky-kos to me. But for the food and the language it should be just like home grin.gif